1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Multiple Sclerosis - will find out today

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Jane1962, Apr 5, 2012.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

So sorry to hear this. Keep posting.

2. I am so sorry to hear this xx

3. Thanks to you all, I was wondering if I should start a new thread, just to record/post my thoughts and experiences; sometimes it's so theraputic to write things down. Was diagnosed on 12th April so still very new. Though having said that I went back to work today, while I can work I am going to. I am well supported in school, really fantastic colleagues and the most amazing head. Family equally wonderful.
    Your thoughts welcome, over to you.
    XXX

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Dear 1299, so sorry to hear your news of 12th April.
    I read your thread with interest as my little brother was diagnosed with MS at 29. He is now 43 and hasn't coped very well. I love him dearly but he is very obstinate and he refused my mum's offers of what she found out on the internet, refused my dad's help with disability in the work place info, no doctor who saw him spoke any sense (according to him) and with a wife and 2 lovely kids looking after him he couldn't have asked for more care. I understand he was deeply shocked by the MS, typical man didn't want help but if he could have accepted things I believe that would have been better for him. I have a close friend who has MS (also diagnosed at 29) and she was the opposite of my brother and we walked the west Highland Way together a few years ago - she just won't give in!
    I guess what I'm saying is you sound like a prime candidate for accepting and appreciating help and well done! I also have a "friend of a friend" who has MND and has surprised everyone by still working 12 years after original diagnosis - he has wonderful family and friends' support!
    Hope you are having a good day 1299 - take care [​IMG]

5. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Not really sure - perhaps Motor Neurone Disease support thread? Didn't want to leave this unanswered. Take care, Jane.

6. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

sounds like a good idea. I wanted to say Hope you are bearing up OK but it sounds so trite under the circumstances, but I'll say it anyway and I'm sure you will take it in the spirit in which it is sent

7. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I'd also suggest you get in touch with an online support group forMND, if you haven't already. I know I find my NHL group invaluable and I've made some good friends.
    I hope you're not feeling too overwhelmed - my thoughts are with you.

8. forestje

forestje New commenter

Jane
    I followed this thread for a while as my bil has MS so was folloiwing your diagnosis.
    Just want to say that I would start a thread for MND as there must be many out there who want to feel they have somewhere to come to for comfort.
    I started a thread after my mother died and it has brought enormous comfort to me.
    Try it and share your triumphs, disasters etc. It will be be good therapy as I found it to be.You will come up with a name I am sure. Good luck and my thoughts are with you.

9. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

Hiya Jane,
    my hubby has MS, found out about 2 years ago after they took 20 years or so to diagnose him- he says when they eventually confirmed it, he felt relief, as he is getting all the right treatment, and a lot of his symptoms are controlled by the right medication.
    Please DO get in touch with other people who have MND- you will doubtless find some very inspiring people who can put you in the know with what is going on.
    It's wonderful you have posted on here- you will find a lot of support, and I am sure you will inspire others.
    God bless!
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10. Hello again lovely people
    I am going to get round to starting this MND thread this week...promise!
    All your lovely comments and support have really inspired me, aside from the rather bleak nature of this disease, my wonderful colleagues, family and friends both close and more distant have been brilliant at offering support and practical suggestions that I would never have considered. Plus some of the things that have happened to me in the last month have really been both truly funny and at times humbling.
    Have a good day everyone
    Jane XXX