1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Multiple job applications

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by scarliell, Mar 16, 2016.

1. scarliell

scarliell New commenter

When I completed my teacher training 13 years ago we were recommended to only apply for one job at a time. I have searched the good ol' net for answers on this but to no avail. Is this still the case or is it acceptable to make more than one application at a time, obviously carefully tailored to each specific school.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yes.

I've tagged @TheoGriff, @Middlemarch and @CWadd to come along and give you more detailed, experienced advice, but most definitely - if you see several jobs that you can 'tick the boxes' and show through the all important ES that it's a good fit - yes.

Also given that there are certain times of the year where many jobs are listed, just applying for one, then waiting a week or two to hear back would exclude you from other potentially just as suitable jobs.

Ps. I think one of the above posters will probably make a comment (negative) about listening to your teacher trainers!

wanet and CWadd like this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's me!

I always say How many selection panels for appointing teachers has your Uni tutor been part of recently?
    ;)

Yes, get applying for every suitable job. How do you know that it is suitable? By doing an E.S. to see if you fulfil the criteria.

What on earth is an E.S. ? :)

Read on . . .

Applications advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

2. Applying for a job in a school I suggest that you read these in this order

NQTs start here! *** N.B. ***

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Pre-application visits to schools

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth!

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written...

Can I ask a school not to contact my referees just yet? ***NEW ***

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Blank E.S. Pro-forma for job applications***NEW ***

Letter of application for a teaching job ***NEW ***

Sharing letters of application, supporting statements and executive summaries ***NEW ***

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

No CPD to put on the application form!

5 common errors in applications

When the time comes to go to an interview, there's more reading - just start a new thread to ask for it!

Best wishes

4. scarliell

scarliell New commenter

Thank you both so much. Yes I am already working on my ES...quite intense work! I must say that using this forum is so helpful, thank you again for your advice and support, it makes the process much less lonely!

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed so, if they're peddling that kind of nonsense! Only apply for one job at a time!

wanet likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, very difficult, but very worth while!

Glad we are of help.

Best wishes

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

No - you apply for as many jobs as you think you fit, or you think fit you. Use Theo's advice!

wanet likes this.
  8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Are you sure that they really said that. Perhaps you misunderstood?