1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Multicultural activities - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Terargram, May 28, 2011.

1. Looking for an activity for our multicultural week (repeating the same activity 4 times with different classes). One colleague is doing African masks. Needs to be a French speaking country (but not France). Thought maybe some sort of weaving?
    Any suggestions much appreciated :)

2. Maybe something from Morocco/Algeria/Tunisia? Henna patterns? Islamic Art?

3. funambule

funambule New commenter

Since when did they not speak French there? La Francophonie? Ca existe?
    This was posted originally on Primary; time Secondary helped out with some useful, accurate info?

4. Tell that to the Algerians, ruled by the French for 130 years, until 1962.
    Shame if MFL teachers feel that there's nothing at all worth learning about them.

5. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I might add that Martinique and Guadeloupe are part of France, not separate countries.
    The Magrehb countries are French speaking, as are Cameroun, Sénégal and Côte d'Ivoire. You could also consider La Réunion, Polynesie Française, and Québec.

6. La Réunion is also a part of France. Many people in the Maghreb countries are indeed able to speak French. But the official language in all three countries is Arabic. The everyday language in all three countries is Arabic, or people speak other national languages. French is used in trade and sometimes education, but Tunisia has chosen Arabic as instruction language in higher education in order to make it accessible to everyone. In all three countries, but especially in Tunisia, French is a status symbol for the middle class. I would like to see any of you go to a bazaar and tell people there they live in a French speaking country. Bet they won't like it....

7. Yes it's true the Maghreb countries have changed their official languages to Arabic now, though French is still used as a teaching medium in many universities, not all. I was assuming that other French ex-colonies were in a similar situation, as all speak their own languages, don't they? But didn't realise La Reunion, Martinique etc. were still part of France, and I guess their official language is still French. Perhaps their own languages are not written ones anyway, in some cases, making it impossible to switch.
    I guess the people of the Maghreb would prefer to be out of "La Francophonie", I agree.
    Sorry for suggesting them then!

8. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I think primary teachers are more likely to have a handle on intercultural understanding, in my experience!!
    I've had a look through all my Delicious links and nearly everything I have for intercultural work in French is France based. A few things though:
    Some ideas here
    There might be some ideas in this book
    You could compare your school with another in the French-speaking world, for example this one
    I've also found these via a Google search:
    http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/undergraduate/liberalarts/departments/languages/programs/ba_french/circle/art.stj
    http://www.lessonplanet.com/search?keywords=francophone+art&media=lesson
    [​IMG]

9. You're right, for French lessons, the Maghreb countries are quite important, and in my A-level course, it was an obligatory topic. But I don't think that it's a good idea to use them as a French multicultural project because this suggests to the kids that the countries' inhabitants consider French as their first language, which would not do them justice.

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

Back to OP: what year group(s) are you aiming this at

H
    x

11. Thank you! There are a few ideas I might choose from the first link. Will have to make my mind up pretty quick!
    BTW it is for Year 3 - Year 6.
    Thank you to everyone. Sorry I have not responded all week - been away.

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

can you do cookery?

13. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

henriette, that's exactly what I was thinking too. Always goes down well! [​IMG]