1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

multi-cultural food display

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by donna_s_89, Aug 30, 2011.

1. I have been asked by the Nursery i work at to create a multi-cultural food display.
    I'm curious as to if anyone else has done one, and what they included on theirs?
    Thanks x

2. books, pictures, packaging from food products, utensils & equipment (eg.wok & chop sticks)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Surely this is a waste of time unless the children are having experience of seeing ,touching, smelling, cooking and eating the food itself.

4. I was thinking about getting the foods for them to try and smelling different flavours (i.e. curry powder). Then getting photos of this.
    Also about getting images of different cultural foods.

5. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

We do this at various times during the year linking to festivals / celebrations etc
    It's Eid this week (tomorrow?)
    Nice PSHE link I think.
    Lots of interesting stuff in the shops around now too.

6. OP asked for display ideas NOT activities which I would consider your suggestions to be

7. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

OK then - I'll butt out
    I think as someone else mentioned a 'display' in it's purest sense wouldn't be as effective as an experiential approach linked in the KUW / PSHE with the children using their senses and being more active.
    I'm sorry if this offends.
    Have to say though that I do think your response is a touch terse.
    I'm sure you didn't mean in to be.

8. It could be an interactive display on a table where the children are smelling and touching with a few books. Could the children bring in a photo of their favourite meal or food from home then display this? That is if your children have a mix of ethincities (can't spell this!!) and cultures.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I agree pictures and posters are pretty pointless unless they meaningful for the children so having a group cooking a curry/stirfry/paella/pizza/irish stew/... (photograph the ingredients and the finished product) and display with comments from the children.
    I always used breads from around the world as an introduction (easy to source) and did tastings (with photo ops for display - adjectives the children use to describe the bread)

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Have you had any experience of working with 3-5 year old pupils?
    They require concrete examples as vannie suggested in order to develop understanding

11. Yes I was an assistant manager for 9 years at a nursery school & have made up 100s of displays

BUT I agree my response was a tad short - sorry!

12. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

No worries [​IMG]