1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Much Ado About Nothing bottom set yr 9

Discussion in 'English' started by iheartpoetry, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I'm a PGCE student with a bottom set year 9 and have been told I can basically teach the play however I wish, culminating in some sort of creative writing assessment at the end of this term (3 weeks). I am running out of ideas after several diary entry activities, lots of peer and self assessments, etc. Any ideas at all would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. Hi all,
    I'm a PGCE student with a bottom set year 9 and have been told I can basically teach the play however I wish, culminating in some sort of creative writing assessment at the end of this term (3 weeks). I am running out of ideas after several diary entry activities, lots of peer and self assessments, etc. Any ideas at all would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks.

3. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

I remember ages ago getting my bottom set Year 9s to make their own revision booklets for their (then) SATs. They actually loved doing it! We studied each character in turn and they made little character cards (much like mini role-on-the-wall outlines) and then we covered all the other stuff - plot, vocabulary, key scenes, key quotes etc. They enjoyed the 'hands-on' approach and the actual organisation of their booklet as well as the group-work (teaching each other etc). There's loads of information on here and sites like 'Teachit' which have worksheets you could improvise. You could choose a past SAT question and work your lessons/booklet around that. When they've collected all the necessary info, they can put together their 'revision pack' and use it to help them answer your chosen assessment question.

[​IMG]

4. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

Hi there
    just wondered if you had already used all the much ado resources on the grid? If not, well worth a look - just google the grid and follow links to curriculum

5. Hi
    I teach in Western Australia and have had great succes with 15 year olds teaching Much Ado About Nothing as a sopa opera as my student all watch a local production called Home and Away.
    The approach I have taken is to firstly explore soap operas, stereotypical characters, and plot structures. Next I show them the Kenneth Branagh film version of Much Ado About Nothing then get the students to look up Spark Notes - No Fear Shakespseare site and download specified acts and scenes.
    The pupils use these as a basis for rewriting the scene into their own language (some have done rap) and perform them for the class. This task covers two of our currirculum requirements - Writing and Listening and Speaking.
    Most classes I have tried this approach with have enjoy it and produced great results.
    Jane Vearer

6. I hope that you're going to use performance for part of it[​IMG]. get them up and moving for at least some of the play! Doesn't have to be big chunks, just focus on key scenes and give the pupils key quotations to play around with, experimenting with tone, pace, physical gesturing and movement. Another possibility is to try choral reading, where they read in a circle, changing every time they encounter any sort of punctuation mark. Also other drama-focused tasks such as tableaux, hot-seating, internal monologues, etc etc
    Also, as you're a student teacher, make sure that "teach it as you want" doesn't equate to "you're on your own"! [​IMG]I'm sure that's not the case and the teacher responsible for the class is the person who best knows the clas and the person you need to run your ideas by.