1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mths interview lesson!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by mv1988, May 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am just about to qualify as an NQT and have just found out I have an interview early next week and I have to teach a 30min maths session to a mixed ability year 1 class. I was thinking of doing a lesson on doubling. Im not sure if im on the right track. and advice would be much appreciated. thank you in advance
    opening being discussing what doubling means (adding the same number together) and doing a qucik mental and oral on the recall of doubles to see what they know, using ict to represent the number we are doubling. Then introduce the ladybirds, they have no spots on. we need to have the same amount of spots on each side - doubling a number. do an example together

main part of session all children work at tables with a laminated ladybird. they choose a number card and have to double that number using the ladybird to help, drawing that number of spots on each side and adding them together, space on the ladybird to write the answer. wipe ladybird clean and pick another number, HA write the number sentence to go with the double e.g 5+5=10.
    pleanery, do we think we can use what we have learnt to match up these doubling questions with their answers. each child have a card. they have to find the matching person. hgalf the children have double 5. (0r another number) rest of children have the answers. they have to talk to each other to find their partner.
    dont know if it will be too hard or easy or wether the main activity is good enought! please help.

thanks

2. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Hi
    I'm a ks2 teacher but have done supply in ks1. No expert though!

However, I really like your ladybird idea! I would also extend this so that LA pupils had actual counters to move and count out for each side to make it more kinaesthetic for them and easier to count out.
    Maybe HA could also do a card matching game - where they have to find the pairs that go together that are doubles of each other? I would also consider linking halving - just for the HA pupils, so they begin to see these as opposites. You could do a drag and drop activity on IWB for plenary - drag doubles to right place on IWB.
    The struggle for this lesson is how to make the M&O starter exciting...... which I'm really not sure about. Am sure a KS1 expert will come along soon with more brilliant ideas!
    Good luck for the interview, hope it goes well!

3. thanks for the advice, its a real help, good ideas and reasurring too that its not the worst lesson ever iv planned. counters i will definetly add.
    I need to use ICT as they mentioned there is IWB available. I had just put on my planning a matching game on IWB for plenery so thats good.
    Was thinking for the M/O started maybe using a beanbag to pass to children asking them a double. I know children always like to be chosen so could keep them interested.

would you introduce halving after the HA have mastered doubling. in main activity or in inro?

Thanks again, im so nervos as its my first interview!

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I really like your plenary - its always a good idea to get them up and about. I would maybe get them up to illustrate the teaching of doubling. E.g 4 children up the front - who can remind me what doubling is? How many more do we need to add? 4 more children up - how many altogether.

5. Don't teach the children a misconception. Doubling is not adding the same number together. If you use this explanation they will have great difficulty understanding halving as the inverse.

6. Thank you, starting to feel a little happier with my lesson. Really appreciate all the help.

7. How would you explian it to them?
    Thanks

8. That for every one person / counter / marble you start with you need 2 at the end. Maybe ask the children what would happen if they all had a twin? If there are twins they'd need quads!

9. That for every one person / counter / marble you start with you need 2 at the end. Maybe ask the children what would happen if they all had a twin? If there are twins they'd need quads!