1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

msn (realtime feedback) for VLE

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by logicmaths, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Does anyone use a VLE which can replicate the MSN whiteboard realitime conversation/messaging for distance learning?
    Would like to be able to feedback to students or even hold distance classes where we can write maths in realtime.
    I presume that such a program would feature a "history" of each session for protection.
    I know that there is a facility enabled through the further maths groups, but I wondered if any school has set up their own yet?
    Many thanks.

2. Does anyone use a VLE which can replicate the MSN whiteboard realitime conversation/messaging for distance learning?
    Would like to be able to feedback to students or even hold distance classes where we can write maths in realtime.
    I presume that such a program would feature a "history" of each session for protection.
    I know that there is a facility enabled through the further maths groups, but I wondered if any school has set up their own yet?
    Many thanks.

3. Smartboard do a really fancy bit of software but it may be costly.
    I just don't like the idea of taking onto anything other than the VLE (ie apps the kids use for other social networking)
    I think a video link (from the business sector) could be a choice but smartboard work with schools so coule be worth a google on

4. DM

DM New commenter

A suitable platform is elluminate. This is the one used by the Further Maths Support Group and Edexcel.

http://www.elluminate.com/

5. Has anyone using Mac tried elluminate and how does it compare to using iChat video?

We have made some use of iChat video conferencing with a feeder primary, the interface that allows you to drag and drop a document in to the chat window is great but we haven't used conferencing beyond that.

Many thanks to DM for the link.

6. I think Fronter also comes bundled with elluminate for some contracts.

7. Sorry, pressed send too early.

With the vle and the collaboration tool, you can also keep track of assignments and so on. Having said this, I haven't used it, just know of it.

8. Thanks for the response ... I will investigate!