1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MSc Project - staff governors in London/nearby

Discussion in 'Governors' started by IndigoandViolet, Mar 1, 2018.

1. IndigoandViolet

IndigoandViolet New commenter

Hello all,

I'm a former teacher who is now pursuing an MSc in Social Policy. As part of my course I am completing a small qualitative research project, interviewing current/former staff governors about their experience as a governor. For the sake of the research, this could be a classic Governing Body or an academy LGB and any phase.

It's a methods course and one of the requirements is that interviews must be conducted face to face so I'm looking for staff governors in London or within train travel from there (I'm north London so up into Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire is very easy, heading south is possible but harder) who would be willing to do an interview of about 40 minutes in March or early April this year. I'll come to you and the interviews could be in school, at home or somewhere else like a cafe.

I'm not allowed to offer incentives but I do happen to bake quite a lot of cake that might get accidentally brought along. If anyone is interested I'm happy to give more details - please reply below or PM me.

Many thanks,
    I&V.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Just as a matter of interest, why only Staff Governors?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm an experienced governor but not a staff governor. Sounds a potentially interesting project, Ive often noticed that some staff governors do not se themselves as governors, as part of the collective decision-making, but more there just to promote staff views.

I suspect that few staff governors will read governors forum. You might also post this on the Personal forum - that's probably the best one available on TES.

4. IndigoandViolet

Mostly because the previous research (and my experience) pans out what Rott Weiler says - that some staff governors feel restricted in their role partly by conceptions of what they should be and partly by the presence of the head teacher. There is quite a good body of literature on GBs in general, but staff governors are often a bit over-looked - there's some work from 1993 and 2000, but nothing since then. In theory they are an excellent check/balance on what is reported by the head, but this only works if they feel empowered to disagree. Since the last research the trend is for heads have more power over individual careers and over governing bodies so it could be problematic for staff governors to disagree with them. There was also some evidence that staff governors viewed the GB as external to the school and didn't want to be seen to air dirty laundry in front of the GB. With the general trend away from stakeholder governance (parents, teachers and the community being involved because they represent particular interests) towards skills-based governance with more corporate involvement that might lead to increased security because its a more "professional" environment, or might not due to the body being seen as even more removed from school and staff expertise not being valued. There's quite a big body of research about 'employee voice' and staff representation is good for organisations, but little about how that pans out in school GBs. So mostly, because I think it's interesting, there's a bit of a research gap and it's a project of about the right size for my needs (it's not a full dissertation so needs to be quite neatly defined).

Rott Weiler likes this.
  5. IndigoandViolet

Thank you!

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Thanks for taking the time to post a detailed reply. Seems fair enough to me.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would be happy to help if your definition of staff governor includes former HTs by virtue of their being an employee of the school. I have also been a nigHT staff governor as well, though. If so, please contact me using the PM (Conversations) function.

On a separate matter, may I suggest that you do NOT agree to meet anyone in their own home for your own safety. Remember Suzy Lamplugh! Public places such as cafes, coffee shops, etc., are fine. You can also consider hotel foyers. Even when meeting In a public place, make sure that someone knows exactly where you are going and how long you expect to be there. Or take a friend with you.

In addition, you may wish to consider whether use of Skype fits your research face-to-face criteria.

revstevew likes this.
  8. Bortoqala

Bortoqala New commenter

Is it too late? I may know someone who would be a very good candidate...