1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MS1 - National Identity & Issues & Debates

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by bob79, Feb 7, 2011.

1. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Hi, I struggle with these themes every year and let's face it, they are going to raise their head in June. Please would anybody kindly trade/share/discuss resources or their approaches to these topics and the whole concept of representation in general. It drives me crazy every year and no matter how much I reflect and plan, it still ends up being the theme that will never be covered in enough depth and the concept that never ends.

2. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Hi, I struggle with these themes every year and let's face it, they are going to raise their head in June. Please would anybody kindly trade/share/discuss resources or their approaches to these topics and the whole concept of representation in general. It drives me crazy every year and no matter how much I reflect and plan, it still ends up being the theme that will never be covered in enough depth and the concept that never ends.

3. I try to get my students to understand that representation involves selection and construction and that it's all about a point of view. If they can get that then it can be applied to any example (I know it sounds easy but they do find it hard!). So if we look at how the English are represented via, say 6 nations rugby adverts/newspaper coverage - tough, brave, partiotic, flag waving etc - we can look at both images and text. What's the point of the images - to get people to watch, to get people to support? Then look at the opening sequence for This is England - and you have another way the national identity is represented - through juxtaposition of images, characters, dres codes etc.
    Sorry - that's a bit rushed and might not help. I find the new text book helps a bit.
    Issues I find harder cos it's difficult to get a contemporary feel - body image issues may work with size zero models (advertising) alongside that Davina McCall programme about losing weight -
    Anyway - just a coupld of ideas!