1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ms Mountford on PC in schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

Apprentice star Margaret Mountford warns of too much political correctness in schools

Ms Mountford, famous for her withering putdowns to hapless candidates during her five-year tenure on the BBC show, said there are words in the English language that are simply “expressions”, and there is a danger of going too far in thinking they promote a continuation of sexism.

[...]

“In the English language there are expressions, and it’s just a word that happens to be a word. I’ve always insisted on being called chairman. We’re not doing ourselves a favour if we bring up girls to be cosseted and not able to give as good as they get.”'

The article reports Mountford's comments in conjunction with the Institute of Physics' report entitled 'Closing Doors:Exploring gender and subject choice in schools'. The IOP concludes that it should produce school materials to help counter 'gender stereotyping' while also encouraging parents and governors to nag us about this non-issue. The IOP should do their job and invest in outreach nationally about their professions instead of telling the rest of us how to do our jobs to fix their preferred gender ratios.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's a black mark for her then...

Oh dammit, racism.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Poor old dear.

4. Vince_Ulam

@lanokia @Lascarina

Racist and ageist? Be ashamed of yourselves, you cavepeople. Do your SLTs know of your archaic mindsets?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I didn't know who Ms (PC?) Mountford was, so I looked her up on Wiki to find that she is just a C (D?) list showbiz personality on some dreadful TV show that sets up gullible young people to look stupid in public. So what does she know about correctness of any sort then?

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Ah, just explained to me --- "correctness" all the way to the bank!

8. Vince_Ulam

@TCSC47

Mountford is more than a sleb in the same sense that you are, I presume, more than a TES forum user.

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Oh Dear, Vince. -- I'm afraid, for once, you are quite wrong.

By the way, I liked your pic to be Stanislaw better than Chris Lee. Much much deeper!

Rock On!

10. Vince_Ulam

You are just a TES forum user? Who turns you over and feeds you?

By request. Some mook thought that likening me to Christopher Lee was an insult.

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The term "political correctness" in my experience is used all too often by people determined to exert their right to cause as much offence as possible.

I think schools are often well behind other workplaces in establishing a real commitment to equality of opportunity.

12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Well, I don't think they knew their 20th C history. When I saw "Ulam" it rang a bell with me that I eventually remembered my nuclear engineering lectures and some slightly off the topic chat from our lecturer. If we should be frightened of anybody, it is most certainly Stanislaw and his mates and not Chris. But I have to say respect for thinking up probably one of the most influential personalities in the complete history of Human Kind that very few know about! He has developed some very important engineering but, I certainly know him for making Teller's ideas possible.