1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mrs Thatcher's suits. What will happen to yours?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Nov 3, 2015.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Or your dresses? Or trousers? Jackets.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/artic...down-margaret-thatchers-wardrobe--bJlWWAt5i_l

I'm not at all clear on this.

The garments were offered for a temporary exhibition?
    A permanent exhibit?
    Offered for sale to the museum?
    Simply offered gratis?

Apparently they're not of aesthetic interest. They sure are of historic interest. Aren't they? Or is it just me? That era still exerts a powerful influence over our nation. So it seems.

Wouldn't some museum in the UK want her gear? Perhaps I'm being absurd. And sexist. I sure wouldn't go to see her suits but the very thought of Blair's or Cameron's togs going on display is just ridiculous.

Naturally MY personal fashion-sense is such that the V&A will be beating a path to my door when I dangle the prospect before them.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Filthy beast.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

Me filthy? You wanna check out lanokia's thread about selfies!

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My work suits (which were in excellent nick and good quality) all went down the charity shops.

6. grumpydogwoman

Obviously you're a lot younger than MT but I assume that, as HT of large schools, your suits must have been of a similar genre @Middlemarch

But what of your blouses?

Middlemarch likes this.
  7. Middlemarch

My suits were somewhat more stylish (Planet, Aquascutum, etc) than Thatcher's, no hats and NO frou-frou blouses.

aspensquiver likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

Shirts then?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Middlemarch

Nah - they were usually short-sleeved, no collar jobs. Silk for preference, cotton in summer (when I would daringly sometimes go without a jacket!).

10. grumpydogwoman

I know what you mean about collars.

If you wear foundation or powder they can get so grubby PLUS it's very hard to get them to sit properly under a jacket. Or so I have observed. I have never had a suit. That was above my pay-grade.

11. grumpydogwoman

[​IMG]

No collar.

She's a looker and no mistake.

(Have spent a pleasant few minutes studying photos of SL in pursuit of my study of 'women wearing suits'.)

12. Middlemarch

She has more than a bit of a 'certain something', GDW! What a mistake Sally Wainwright made in killing off Kate, too.

13. grumpydogwoman

Well, I'm hoping she'll meet someone else PDQ!

(I am available. Even if only FICTIONALLY.)

14. Middlemarch

Me too!

Unfortunately, Wainwright (who got a torrent of complaints about the unnecessary killing of Kate), who was asked "Will Caroline meet another woman?" replied "No - but she won't meet a man, either". So it looks as if the old 'Lesbians can never be happy on telly' chestnut is alive and well. A shame, as Wainwright had done so well in avoiding stereotypes until then.

15. grumpydogwoman

Grrrrrrrr!!!!

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Wait till they open the Hillary Clinton Pantsuit Museum...
    [​IMG]

17. grumpydogwoman

Were those real suits? Not photoshopped!?

Not only the Pantsuit Museum but the Pantone Museum also.

Who has shares in fabric dye companies?

aspensquiver likes this.
  18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Well, if she was looking at me, I can tell you my sweetheart would be telling her she can look, but she can't touch.

20. grumpydogwoman

I have a confession. I have spent more than half an hour today checking Hillary's fashions through the decades. I partly blame @artboyusa

Oh, and @Duke of York? If you turned up in that red top? Everyone would look at you. BUT NOT IN A GOOD WAY.

a/ what is wrong with me?
    b/ why are they so obsessed with Hillary's pantsuits and hairstyles over the pond?

Because they ARE!

And look! Something for me!

[​IMG]