1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mrs Cazorla looking at a dieting franchise now she's given up teaching

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JohnJCazorla, May 16, 2018.

1. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Hello good people, some advice please

In an earlier thread I said my hacked-off missus was going to hand in her notice and leave teaching (except maybe supply for pin money) in August. She's now done that.

Being a keen (and successful) dieter she's decided to go for a franchise with a well known brand and there's an introductory meeting this Friday. I will also go along as the OH. My initial worry is that it will end up being like some time-share mass hysteria and we'll end up walking out £1,500 worse off. The business model appears to rely on a load of (mostly female) punters paying £4.95 per visit and being weighed and fat-shamed to do better next week followed by some kind of AA type ideas sharing to do better next time. (I may have a slightly unhelpful view here).

Despite all my negativity I'm glad that Mrs C is seeking out a project which will keep her happy and have been very positive in encouraging it. Also as a teacher she should be able to lead groups and 'plan' presentations to a better standard than most and in an earlier life she worked in marketing, another asset.

Is there anyone out there who has experience of buying into such franchises? Any advice welcome.

Thank you
    John

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Caveat emptor...;)

Laphroig, sebedina and nomad like this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

No personal experience but I can tell you that half the women in our school use either one or the other of the big two franchises (WW or SW). They seem to be extremely popular and people seem happy to pay the going rate for quite long periods, years in some cases. One thing I was told, by a long term member of the SW option, was that the common sense, enthusiasm and personality of the person running it really makes a difference. She has always used SW but has swapped where she attends purely based on the person running it.

4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I'm guessing that you're talking about either WW or SW. No, I don't know anyone directly who has run them but have attended both and think that the quality of the leader is the key to success. Their enthusiasm and knowledge without the bs makes all the difference. As a teacher, your wife will be used to preparing and giving presentations, as well as motivating people. I have a slightly more favourable view of SW, but know that WW have recently changed to a plan that is more similar to SW. Didn't know that you have to pay to be a leader and I'm sure there is lots of work outside the class time, but would think it is worth giving it a go as you can also run it alongside other work. I'm guessing she has had direct experience of the particular classes. I have also read about people who have set up their own classes without the backing of a large organisation, so that might be worth some consideration.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

No idea whether the franchise will be successful, but I have a feeling that obesity is about to become as unacceptable as smoking to many people. I took an elderly neighbour to hospital for a check-up yesterday, and was quite appalled at the size of many of the people there. Great rolls of fat spilling over the edge of seats that could hardly support them. The food on offer in the café did little to help - to all intents and purposes, it was like an offshoot of Greggs. :oops:

6. JohnJCazorla

Thank you frangipani,
    yes it's SW and it appears that a franchise costs £1.5K but profits for the better ones come in around £1K per month (allegedly). She has successfully followed the process as a punter and lost 2 stones and I agree that as a teacher she should be very good and not too bad at the outside work.
    Probably the only bit of advice we'll ignore, at heart we're both employees (even though there will be a limited company involved).

emerald52 and frangipani123 like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I can't speak for franchises but would advise anybody going down the self employment route to diversify - don't just chuck it all into one thing. Have at least one other income source in case the grand plan doesn't work out.

I had to visit a hospital the other day and went into the shop - it was piled high with crisps, biscuits, sugary snacks, fizzy drinks etc. All the stuff they warn you about in the information leaflets in the waiting areas. Talk about job creation.

8. JohnJCazorla

Yes this is alongside her doing supply which isn't really her thing. Supply is my thing and I'll be keeping that going.

magic surf bus likes this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I can't comment on WW or SW, but I know they are popular. Thing is, it can be done without - I have recently managed to lose over 3 stone and did it without paying someone to weigh me and tell me off... (I have more of an anti-view, so I am not Mrs C's target market)
    But good luck to her!
    It is worth checking what is available in your area before she pays out, as it would be a lot to pay if there are already seventeen successful groups. I'm sure she has done this already.

10. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I have been a member of SW for years (target member for the last few so I don't have to pay!). I have swapped groups several times as leaders have changed. The group I attend now has a fabulous consultant; unsurprisingly both her groups are very successful.

11. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I have heard that there is an interview process, and some people are not successful.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My sweetheart went to WW and successfully lost a lot of weight. She looked into being a leader but needed me to finance it and I declined because I didn't like the business model.

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

How very Victorian of you. :eek:

sebedina and sbkrobson like this.
  14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've been a SW member for quite a few years (target member now, mostly - except for when I occasionally slip of the wagon and have to pay again for a few weeks!) I agree that the success of a group depends largely on the leader. Our group has had several over the years, and numbers have varied from half a dozen to forty plus. I don't know anything about the franchise aspect, but I imagine it must be quite satisfying to help people to feel better about themselves ... and the eating plan really does work! I wish her luck if she decides to go for it.

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's useful to think of what motivates a franchiser to seek franchisees. If they are doing it for money (let's face it, that's the way the business model works) then the start up fee is low so that means they will be trying to attract large numbers of franchisees.Ergo lots of competition between them.
    Once you are signed up with a franchise, their next goal is to contract you into sustaining and growing brand awareness, so things like this will come with some sort of advertising commitment. Will she have to do leaflets? Will she have to pay for them? Is she required to use social media?
    The problem with a low start up franchise is that these two interests are over your head, and the franchiser has zero interest in you growing your own numbers. So the leg work is huge, the competition is huge and the commitment from the small print can interfere with this. (One example, randomly is possible annual training, where they stipulate the hotel where you have to stay. )
    The point here is that a low start franchise makes you a vehicle for somebody who is not actually looking after your own interests, so there is no promise of reward despite being shackled in some ways.

. I'made this negative on purpose-if MRs C reads this, she ought to be abel to respond "So? I don't care!" to each point.
    In which case, go for it!

edit-sorry, some typos

Laphroig and JohnJCazorla like this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Not at all. I'd have been more than happy to invest in a venture for her if it was likely to be profitable and have done so on a number of occasions. The WW thing didn't make financial sense to me.

17. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Glad to hear she is thinking of doing something dynamic. When I started researching working into my 50s, I learnt that the majority of working women over 50 were self employed.

I don't know anything about the market only to say I tried two of these schemes and found them extremely uninspiring and totally unmotivating. I found it easier to lose weight all by myself and not having a 'group' to support me.

Having found success with it herself is key and believing in the brand helps. If it's what rocks her boat, then tell her to go for it. Worst scenario, you lose £1,500 and a lot of time, best scenario you become a kept man!;)

Teaching is penance. What we did in our former lives to be tortured in this one, we will never know, but let's hope Mrs C is another one who got away and never looked back.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

For some reason one pictures this spousal discussion with you behind a very large desk and her being the only one who entertains the idea of it actually needing to be there....

20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Again, that desk. It just got larger.

Jamvic likes this.