1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mr Kinsa's pickled courgettes!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jul 18, 2010.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Kinsa and Mr Kinsa came to dinner Friday night (and left in the early hours Sat morning!). Mr Kinsa brought me a jar of his homemade pickled courgettes.
    They are the yummiest thing I have tasted for a long time and a great thing to do with courgettes.
    I hope Kinsa reads this and posts the recipe. If not I will PM her and ask her to.
    Seriously scrummy! [​IMG]

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Would like to see that recipe to Belle as i have so many lovely courgettes growing at present. My other two great uses for them are Courgette and Stilton Soup and Chocolate orange courgette cake.

3. BelleDuJour

I've emailed Kinsa to ask for it and will post it on here. Truly scrummy!

4. Here is the now famous pickled courgettes recipe!
    It's from the August Good Food Magazine and is good with cold poached salmon, burgers - or in a sandwich on its own. I think BdJ ate it straight from the jar!!
    My resident chef made it for a little reunion I had recently and fights nearly broke out when the jar was empty. We'd already hidden the second jar to take to Belle's. Oh bum I have just remembered I can't do paragraphs any more, so will email the recipe to Belle to post. Enjoy!!

5. PS Apparently the original recipe was made with cucumbers, which I would like to try but resident chef doesn't see the point of cucumber!

6. BelleDuJour

COURGETTE PICKLE - makes 1 litre
    500g courgettes
    3 shallots, finely chopped
    2 tbsp non-iodised salt

PICKLING LIQUID
    500ml cider vinegar
    140ml golden caster sugar1 tsp mustard powder
    1 tsp mustard seeds1 tsp celery
    seeds
    1 tsp ground turmeric1/2
    dried chilli, crumbled - wimps version (He used a whole green chilli
    plus some dried and
    would use more next time)

1. Thinly
    slice courgettes. Put in a bowl with shallots and sprinkle the salt
    over. Cover with ice-cold water and stir to dissolve the salt. Leave
    for one hour. Then drain courgettes thoroughly and pat dry - important.

Meanwhile put pickling ingredients into pan and bring to a simmer.
    Bubble for 3 mins making sure sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool until
    warm not hot. Add courgettes and stir.

3. Scoop mixture into 2 x 500ml sterilised jars. Seal and leave in fridge for a few
    days.

Apparently will keep for a couple of months - but not when my friends are involved!!! Especially Belle!

7. Gosh, you are clever. Must learn how to copy stuff and post!

Unfortunately resident chef realises that his Maison au Quatre Saisons cookery day cover is blown: recipe is described as easy in the mag! And it does look pretty easy

8. BelleDuJour

Easy but so delicious and they won't stand a chance of lasting longer than 5 minutes here! And yes, I have been scoffing them from the jar [​IMG]
    I agree about cucumber though. Courgettes are much tastier!

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

*puts courgettes and celery seeds onto her shopping list*

10. Ohhhhhhhhh, that sounds lovely. I am definitely giving that one a try.
    But what on earth is non-iodised salt?

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It's what I buy as pickling salt.
    I was told you can use kosher salt - that's supposed to be non-iodized, but haven't tried it in pickles.

12. So what do I buy in Germany then?

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Omi used Poekelsalz - same stuff she used for salting meat!

14. I'm glad you asked that question CQ [​IMG] I was just going to keep quiet and Google it!

15. Honestly? For pickling veg? I've always just used normal salt (you know that stuff you get in a blue or orange box?)

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Normal salt is actually fine! But pickling salt gives a clearer pickling liquid.

17. Just what I thought when I sent the recipe to Belle. Apparently any good quality sea salt is fine - that's what he sent me up to Tesbury's to buy.

18. Ah goody!
    I was having visions of me trying to explain what non-idiosed salt is in my local supermarket [​IMG]
    I might try with Pökelsalz though, to see if it does make a difference (well, when I buy some Pökelsalz - I can't wait that long to try the recipe first though, lol).

19. BelleDuJour

and you told me it was for a bottle of gin and some tonics! [​IMG]

20. Well, those as well, obviously!
    Anyway, everyone, just posting to gloat that there are four more jars of courgette pickle in our fridge!