1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mr Gumpys Outing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jun 5, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Certainly not a whole version of the story in 3 sessions as free writing. New character would necessitate a new story.

Maybe session one is learning the story, reception can do this as well.

Session two you give children a copy of the story with gaps they can fill in with changes or simply retell the story as they wish. Reception ought to be able to do the retelling with support for spelling. (Differentiate this task as you see fit for your class.) Maybe use A5 paper and have just a sentence or two on each page at the bottom.

Session three they illustrate and make their version into a book.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. Thank you very much. Nice to have it on computer so can use IWB.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I have done this with a Reception/Year 1 class, but over several weeks, not just 3 sessions. We wrote a new version of the story by creating new characters in a new setting but with the same basic structure, and then made it into a class book. It worked very well but perhaps too ambitious for your time constraints. Might be better to concentrate on creating a new character - the children could work in pairs to create the dialogue between their character and Mr Gumpy, possibly by acting it out, and then writing it up as a page for a class book. You could write the ending all together as the plenary of your final session.

5. Yeah good idea. Maybe then the Reception children can be paired with a year 1? Or maybe stick to just doing year 1s..
    Would you write the beginning together? Instead of re-writing the story, could we change it by chaning the setting, putting it on a broom or something like that? Then they do the people falling off, and then write end together?

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

That's what I would do. The children suggested ideas for a new setting, new type of transport, new main character's name, etc and we voted for the ones we liked the best - but we had more time. With only 3 sessions I'd probably just say something like, "I thought instead of Mr Gumpy we'd have Wendy the Witch who went for a ride on her broom - what do you think?" And then write the beginning together from there... then children go off and create their characters... add them into the story and then write the end together. Good luck, let us know how it goes, won't you?

7. Oh. Haha! I thought this thread was going to be about a stressful class trip. Taking 30 Y6s punting, or similar!