1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mr Gove's shake-up - should Geography be compulsory?

Discussion in 'Geography' started by freckle06, Feb 20, 2012.

1. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

'Under the proposals, all pupils in England would
    be required to study history, geography, a foreign language, design and
    technology and the arts until at least 16, even if they are not planning to take
    a GCSE in them.'
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2076297/History-geography-compulsory-16-major-shake-national-curriculum.html#ixzz1mwvacn3y
    What I love about teaching Geography at KS4 is that students have chosen to be there, it can be a useful lever to encourage good behaviour and positive learning for all. But what if Mr Gove pushes on with plans to make it compulsory - I assume that students taking the EB would still have a choice about History or Geography, but will all be pushed to take the EB? What would that mean for joyful KS4 lessons??
    Answers on a postcard please.

2. msmillreef

msmillreef New commenter

Well I'm teaching in a British International school that's basically making it's own curriculum up! They do IB and some BTEC plus IGCSE's and they've slowly chipped away (or should I say eroded)?!, geography so that there are fewer and fewer opportunities to study it. Crappy wishy washy humanities, which is neither here nor there has taken over and soon to be amalgamated with English to make ....dare I utter it?......Social Studies. No geography in it at all. Upshot is that none of the students know anything about what's going on other than from reading wikipedia! I feel demoralized actually somedays.[​IMG]

3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I can see where you are coming from. It's a standard joke between us and business that Geography is colouring maps, but I think that's jealousy on their part. Never worked with an 'ologist, so don't think I'd respond that well to touchy feely lessons, geography is about realities and the physical processes are quite concrete really. As a student I liked social geography but since starting teaching more than a decade ago have come to love physical geography - it's not airy fairy!
    I can't say I blame you about moving on - you have to feel passionate about what you do, and we're good at that as geographers!