1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mr G wants to be able to sack teachers within a term.... and the unions say...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Zadok1, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I was fascinated to hear the report on my local BBC radio station this morning that Mr Gove wants to speed up capability proceedings in order to enable head teachers to get rid of failing staff at greater speed. The response from the local NUT spokes person was to say that he thought this was playing into the hands of bullying management. Then the report ended. I waited and waited but there didn't seem to be the aftermath of shock and horror I expected.
    There was no response from the local authority, Mr Gove certainly didn't respond, the presenter didn't seem to pick up on it... nor did the people calling into the show.
    I wonder why no one was shocked by the statement from a teaching union that there was bullying within school management in the first place!!!

2. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I was fascinated to hear the report on my local BBC radio station this morning that Mr Gove wants to speed up capability proceedings in order to enable head teachers to get rid of failing staff at greater speed. The response from the local NUT spokes person was to say that he thought this was playing into the hands of bullying management. Then the report ended. I waited and waited but there didn't seem to be the aftermath of shock and horror I expected.
    There was no response from the local authority, Mr Gove certainly didn't respond, the presenter didn't seem to pick up on it... nor did the people calling into the show.
    I wonder why no one was shocked by the statement from a teaching union that there was bullying within school management in the first place!!!

3. Because it's an open secret! We all know it happens and want to do something about it, but the powers that be deny everything or make life difficult when the frustrated/broken targets try to do so. I'm also shocked that there wasn't more of a reaction when the Government announced that Health changes mean that GPs can't sign people off for more than 2 weeks at a time and people have to see a 'panel of doctors' after that! That's just great for people off with long term stress, anxiety/depression or other mental health issues as a result of these bullying managers!

4. I was driving home at lunch time today and heard a very heated debate about this subject on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 show. Apparently, "only 17 bad teachers have been sacked in the past 10 years", and some irate callers were demanding that there should be an almost instant cull of not-performing-to standard staff.
    Another of Mr G's measures, apparently, is to allow parents into their child's classroom and "see what goes on" - being allowed to report the teacher if they felt the standards were not good enough.
    These parental visits would not be a one-off, but could be "for months" until the parents were satisfied that their child was being taught properly.
    Check out the pod cast on BBC iPlayer for a listen to the Vine show today.

5. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I'd like to see a cull of bad managers... but that's a whole other story.
    I'd love for the parents to come sit in my class and see just what kind of a nightmare their kids can be... better still lets fit the rooms with two way mirrors... Come on down I say... and if they think they could do a better job... well I would welcome them having a go. I'll even plan the lesson and give them some tips on how to get going.

6. I'd go further than that by letting the parents borrow my computer (after I'd logged in), access the A-level Exam board website that I teach, share my course file with them and say 'happy teaching!'

If you think you know so much about how to do my job, even though you don't have my teaching qualification and experience, go ahead! You're more than welcome!

Oh yes, and just as the parents and students enter the classroom, I'd tell the parent that I can see an OFSTED inspector (and my line manager) coming down the corridor!

7. Clever psychological manipulation/exploitation of human nature.
    Nobody must notice and even less so believe that mismanagement or very much worse has led to the current difficult political and/or economical circumstances.
    Convince the masses that the fault lies with someone else, preferably someone right there in their midst who they have already been persuaded is responsible for their future.
    Powerful people in trouble do not want educators but at best brain trainers.They cannot afford to have anyone notice that these new proposals are inherently dangerous.
    So who is going to be courageous enough to stand up and convince the general population that this is so, especially when this may not only cost them their livelihood but perhaps even their life?

8. What is so scary is that if a competent, committed teacher is told often enough that he is incompetent (with lots of "inadequate" judgements to prove it) he will start to believe it. At my school every member of staff is judged on about six areas of their work twice a year, and actually given a grade for each which feeds into pm. Nobody is ever up front about who makes these judgements and they are extremely hard to change. We would never do this to the students! This bullying culture which protects management at the expense of classroom teachers really needs to be challenged. But how indeed?

9. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I have no objection, in principle, to the more-efficient removal of genuinely incompetent teachers. I have been a senior leader and, before that, a Head of Department in which I have witnessed the devastation an incompetent teacher can wreak on the life chances of children. I would expect that any allegation of incapability would come only after the school had amassed a body of evidence of poor teaching and learning over a period of time. One inadequate observation certainly does not equate to incompetence; a pattern, over time, coupled with poor results, planning etc might do.
    My concern about Mr Gove's latest announcement is that, at least in the short term, bullying Heads who wish to get rid of someone whose face doesn't fit can do so with greater ease. Before the abolition of the GTC, teachers could, at least, be safe in the knowledge that the GTC would investigate their case if they had been dismissed, or resigned in circumstances in which dismissal was likely. Now that the new Teaching Agency will investigate only those cases that are so serious that a teacher is in danger of being 'struck off' from the register, many of those dismissed on grounds of capability or ill-health will not have that safety-net. Much crticism has been levelled at the GTC (much of it by me!) but it was, at least, a final port-of-call for bullied teachers who, for the first time, had their case examined by an independent panel.

10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Sadly I've seen a few teachers where this has been the case. 1 observation deemed not good enough on 1 aspect of work, followed by a 'monitoring programme' of unannounced observations, extra work etc, stress and loss of confidence follows, teacher leaves,. Career potentially over.

11. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Gardening... while it's great to have the GTC confirm that you're not in fact mad.. and you didn't do anything wrong... they can't actually give you your job back. Sad but true.

12. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

True. However, being investigated and cleared by the independent regulator is strong evidence to take to court/tribunal.

13. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I bloody hope so... lol! (Fingers crossed and all that!)

14. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

This is terrible. Within a term could mean two weeks. What about some of the young teachers who have been put on capability. They would have spend loads of money on further education, got themselves into a lot of debt only to find that they would be barred from ever teaching again all because they were in the wrong school. In the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I just hope that teachers who find themselves in this position take their case to the tribunal.
    Someone do something before this idiot ruins lives.[​IMG]

15. OK, you would have to be really stupid not to realise what this government is trying to do.
    First, the workforce agreement - the bribe of covered PPA time for the price of unqualified teaching by COVER SUPERVISORS. The spread of this unqualified teaching to HLTAs and even TAs. The virtual death of the qualified supply teacher because of all this.
    Next step, make it easier to get rid of weak teachers.....and let's face it, in times of increasing bad behaviour, idiots changing the curriculum weekly and general depletion of worker's rights....it's not hard to under-achieve as a teacher!
    Hey Presto! once half the qualified workforce that's left retires, much easier to replace them with unqualified cheaper staff. After all, it's only the underclass who won't pay for private education... Think about it. It's about time we started striking for things that matter to ALL teachers.

16. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I had the joy of having a 'face that doesn't fit' the other year. It was pretty much just after i'd finished induction, my observations through that had all been satisfactory with most of them showing elements of good. I start in a new school in the september having finished my induction in the easter and suddenly my teaching is bearly satisfactory! Not only did i have to face challenging behaviour and a room that was badly designed for teaching my subject but I was being observed every half term. I'd dread to think how that year would have gone if something like this had been in place!! As it is I've been working supply to build myself back up and I'm feeling ready to apply for perm jobs again but this is enough to give me some concerns over doing that.

17. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

I think you have to keep in mind that not all schools are that bad... and that you might just find your face does fit!
    Supply teaching is useful for honing behaviour management skills if nothing else... so go for it! Good Luck!

18. what about the experienced HOD short 2 members of staff in a school where a child threatens to set a colleague on fire with a lighter; another colleague is reduced to tears by 3 observations in a week and a third has 3 pregnant pupils in one class? This HOD was OFSTED outstanding but now feels barely adequate and only goes to work because someone has to stand up for staff and certain pupils. It makes that HOD feel even more vulnerable - accountable without control; sick to the stomach everytime a senior manager hoves into sight.

19. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

That sounds terrible Sue. It's school situations like that we should be exposing... Neither staff or students can thrive in an environment like that. I wish I was shocked but I think it's all too common.
    Work conditions become untenable and we don't get up and shout because we're worried about job security, which is totally understandable, but just so wrong that a profession like teaching has been reduced to this.