1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mps scale

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon2047, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hi,

At what stage do you move up the scale? I am mps 1 and have been employed full time since 1 week before Christmas full time. After Easter I will be working 3 days a week an then full time from September.

Many thanks
    Jaime

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

September 2012.

3. loranp

loranp New commenter

It has nothing to do with whether you're full or part time, it's how many years you have been working. For example, I qualified two years ago so have been working for two years, hence I'm on M2 and will be on M3 in September.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you have been employed by a school or LA then you are entitled to progress up the pay scale in September if you have worked for 26 weeks in the previous school year or 12 months if across school years. You need to calculate the days you have worked to see if you meet the 26 week requirement. This assumes that you are employed under school teachers pay & conditions.

5. Progression is currently automatic if you have worked at least one day a week in 26 seperate weeks of the year. You do not have to work 26 full weeks, just be employed for all or part of 26 seperate weeks. Of course the government would like to dismantle this and the new chief of OFSTED has indicated that he does not like automatic progression, but at present it is still automatic.
    The Sage

6. Thanks for the replies, do you count the holidays? I started 1 week before Christmas.

Thanks
    Jaime

7. I also meant to ask if supply counts as I will be at a school from Easter to the end of summer.

8. Supply only counts if it is through the LA, not through an agency. If you are currently working through an agency (and have been since before Christmas) then I'm afraid you might be starting on M1 in September.

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Yes, sorry I made some assumptions in my post. [​IMG]
    Apologies.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you are on contract the holidays count as you are still an employee in the holiday periods. Any weeks when you are on sick leave also count as those too are paid and you remain an employee.
    For those on daily/hourly paid supply teaching rates, paid for by an LA, only calendar weeks when you did some teaching work will count towards the 26 weeks required for pay progression.
    generally speaking, private agency work will not count; you get the rate that the agency offers, notwithstanding that AWR might see your rate increase to your current teacher pay point after you have been placed for more than 12 weeks with a school. The agency then has to cough up more for your daily rate and the agency remains the employer, so it makes no difference to what they pay you in the following school year (no movement up the payscale).
    Thos eworking with private agencies should do all they can to secure some work in at least 26 weeks direct with a school or with the LA supply register. Their pay will then progress as for contracted teachers and AWR would mean that they would get the increased daily rate under AWR.

11. Hi, thanks for the replies! I am not with an agency but was asked to work by the school and they are also giving me induction so I am assuming that will count?

If so, I started on the 12/12/2011 and will be working until the end of the summer term, by my calculations that means I will have worked more than 26 weeks so I should start on mps 2 in sept??

But I won't get any more money because of the pay freeze?
    Thanks
    Jaime

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Are you being paid on a fixed term contract, which would mean equal monthly payments and pro-rata of that full monthly payment for part months such as last December?
    Or do you claim supply rate for each school day worked?
    If the former, you will definitely meet the 26 week requirement for progressing up the payscale from Sept 2012 as every calendar week from 12th Dec 2011 will count.
    If the latter, you need to count each calendar week when you do some teaching work in school. Assuming that school closed for Xmas on Frid 16th Dec 2011, as it did in my area, that gives you one eligible week in 2011 (more if you did any LA paid teaching elsewhere between 1st sept2011 and 12th dec 2011). You then need 25 calendar weeks between 1st Jan 2012 and 31st Aug 2012.
    If you meet the qualifier, contact LA payroll in the summer break or in Sept ( in August if your last pay was at the end of July and in Sept if it is at the end of August) and make sure that they log you as moving up the payscale.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you were daily paid supply, you will need to have been employed in 26 of the 39 school weeks.
    In my area, the Autumn term 2011 consisted of 14 weeks. It was 15 weeks in some areas.
    You worked one Autumn term week (or possibly 2) and thus need 25 (or 24) more from the Spring and Summer terms. Just doable if employed to the end of term and any sick days (unpaid) did not take up an entire calendar week.

14. Hi, thanks for the fast reply! I will be paid on a daily supply rate so assuming that I work until the end of the summer term I should just make it!

Thanks again
    Jaime

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You will get paid more because you are on the next point up. Each point is frozen, but MPS2 is still more than MPS1.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you are feeling ill, don't be absent from school for an entire calendar week or you'll miss out on pay progression! Drag yourself in on a Monday to be bale to tick off that calendar week as one of the 26 and if you are sick enough to need more than a week off work, get back by the Friday of the following week so that the second week will count for pay progression too.
    If a term or half term starts and/or finishes mid-week, the day or so in work count as a week for pay progression. Thus one of the 39 school weeks, split between a part week at the end of a term and a part week on the return will count as 2 'weeks' for pay progression.
    It's galling when you think you've made the 26 week qualifier and end up accepting agency work, only to find out when it's too late that you miscalculated and only had 25 LA 'weeks'. It happened to me and cost me £10 per day in extra pay for a couple of years afterwards and delayed my application for Threshold.

17. I tend to work when I'm I'll anyway!

Oh re: the pay, I thought that if I moved up I would still get paid mps 1 because of the pay freeze?

Thanks
    Jaime
    Ps how much is mps 2?!

18. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

No, we still move up the scale and thus get paid more. Mps2 is around £23500 from memory, about £2k more than mps1. The pay freeze means that the value of mps2 remains the same next year as it is this, normally it would go up, to say £23800.

So assuming you work enough weeks btw now and sept, come sept ull be on £23500 roughly.

19. In the documentation I have received so far, it states that I will start on mps 1. I have just realised that I will be working in an academy - does that make any difference?

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Documentation tends to follow the current paypoint that you entered on the application form becasue they won't yet know whether you will have met the 26 week qualifier by 1st September.
    With an LA employer, progression is guaranteed, even if you have to upate them in the new school year. I wouldn't take anything for granted in an Academy. Check that they will honour the pay progression that you'd have been entitled to had you stayed in LA employment.
    Another point to look for is sick pay entitlement. My ATL magazine has just highlighted the case of a teacher of several years' experience who moved to Academy employment and discovered to her horror that she was not entitled to sick pay in her first year with the school. She was taken seriously ill and had time off work and received no pay, but was still expected to send in cover lessons for her classes!