1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MPs' odious offspring

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Dec 4, 2019 at 12:32 PM.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And haven't there been some!

Margaret Thatcher's son, Mark, convicted and given a four-year suspended prison sentence and a fine in 2005 in South Africa for funding the 2004 Equatorial Guinea coup d'état attempt. And, of course, getting lost in the desert during the 1982 Paris-Dakar Rally.

Tony Blair’s son Euan (then 16-years-old) arrested in 2000 for being drunk after police found him face down and vomiting in a London square.

Jack Straw's son William, cautioned for selling cannabis in 1998 and sacked as a governor of a London school in 2009 for financial mismanagement.

And now we hear that Diane Abbott's, son, James, was accused of assaulting a police officer, (spitting at and punching one officer and biting the thumb of another). She has previously expressed her concern in parliament over assaults on police officers and other emergency workers and complained that “for too long police victims of violence have felt like second-class citizens."

Worse, apparently she tried yesterday evening to prevent The Telegraph from publishing details of the court hearing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    Shedman, Jamvic, xmal and 5 others like this.
  2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It's her come-uppance for sending him to private school. She should have trusted state schools, like she exhorts everyone else to do.

Jamvic, xmal, burajda and 5 others like this.
  3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm not surprised by this.
    Like Randy Andy, I suspect being the offspring of a serving MP, especially an MP of significance, proffers the said offspring an air of arrogance and entitlement that makes them feel beyond reproach, if not above the law.
    It seems just about everything we read of Diane Abbott is a bit of a joke...............from her romp in the sack with Comrade Jezzer to her maths and now her son. And to think if Labour get in she could be Home Secretary :confused::eek:o_O

caress, Jamvic, Dragonlady30 and 5 others like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ah, but HER son was a special case! Abbott spoke about her son during a TV interview when she was running for the Labour leadership in 2010. Explaining her decisions about his education at the City of London School, she said: "I knew what could happen if my son went to the wrong school and got in with the wrong crowd. They are subjected to peer pressure and when that happens it’s very hard for a mother to save her son."

So that was £10,000 a year down the drain, then!

caress, Jamvic, Dragonlady30 and 9 others like this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My friend's son was on the same course as Euan. They were all out one night and had been refused entry to a nightclub or restaurant, can't remember which. He went off on a total rant, shouting "Don't you know who I am???" at the doorman. His mates were mortified.

caress, Jamvic, Dragonlady30 and 7 others like this.
  6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The above is in a different league to the other examples...

What sentence did Ms Abbott's son receive?

I can't think what it is abut Dianne Abbott that triggers people so much.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No idea what went wrong with post above.

I meant to say,there's probably lots of 16/17 years old that have done the same.

Jamvic and nizebaby like this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

He was charged on Sunday last with two counts of assault by beating of an emergency services worker and further charged with an offence under Section 4 of the Public Order Act. Appeared in custody at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday. Granted bail and next appears at City of London Magistrates’ Court on 7th February.

So, we don't know yet.

Jamvic and TheoGriff like this.
  10. Scintillant

Oh right, obviously guilty though.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Have I said so? :rolleyes:

Mind you, if that is the interpretation you wish to arrive at given the information above, then go ahead.

That said, there must be very few innocent people walking along and minding their own business who are suddenly arrested and charged with spitting at and punching one police officer and biting the thumb of another. Damn few! Blowed if I can remember the last time that happened to me.

But then, my mother isn't vying to be the Home Secretary after the 12th of this month!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 1:07 PM
  12. Scintillant

Well, I was wondering why he was "odious". I presumed it was due to his (alleged) actions.

13. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Apparently, there's a biography of Abbott in the pipeline authored by the Cambridge academic Robin Bunce (who is a very sharp and clear writer). Think I'll await the reviews of that before I pass judgement as I really don't know much about her.

Years ago, I did read an older one about Mark Thatcher that was written by two Private Eye journalists.

It might be the only biography I have come across where absolutely nobody had a kind word to say about its subject, not even Thatcher's own PR bloke (who I think could have been Tim Bell but can't be sure as I no longer have it).

14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

So why was his identity published? Identity of under 18 year olds in connection with criminal proceedings is normally not allowed to be published in the media.

EDIT Sorry misread you. It was Blair's son who was under 18. Abbot's son is 28.

TheoGriff likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Because he is aged 28?? :)

TheoGriff likes this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, as I explained in the EDIT which appears in your quote box …...

nomad likes this.
  17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Is that all she paid ten years ago? CLS is fractionally less than £19,000 per annum for day kids these days.

caress and nomad like this.
  18. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

A former government minister’s son who killed his girlfriend’s toddler with a car seat has been jailed for seven years and six months by a judge who described him as “cunning and manipulative”.

Stephen Waterson, the adopted son of the former MP Nigel Waterson (Con), killed Alfie Lamb in 2018 in what police have said was the first case of death from crush asphyxiation as a result of an electronic car seat.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-death-man-jailed-after-crushing-boy-car-seat

19. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

David Amess Jnr, 21, of Crowstone Road, Southend, was jailed for wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after hitting a man over the head with a champagne-style bottle in a club.

Southend West MP David Amess (Con) has vowed to continue fighting to clear his son's name after an appeal against his conviction for assault was lost. [2005]

20. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

it is qwhite the mystery :rolleyes:

nomad likes this.