1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MPs furious about returning to work...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Grandsire, May 31, 2020.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...t-forced-return-of-physical-voting-to-commons

But surely it's safe, or at least safe enough. They've started sending sending everyone else back to work, so it must be safe! They've put children and teachers back into school for physical teaching rather than online teaching, so it surely must be safe for Parliament to do physical rather than online voting!

Or is there something they're not telling us?!

If they get this wrong, the "One rule for us..." issue that Cummings' behaviour made into a national problem is going to become an indelible stain on this country's government.

Yes, lots of us have concerns. But if you're asking the rest of us to put up and shut up for the sake if the country, then you, our elected representatives, must do the same.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Schools shouldn't be going back tomorrow.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Imagine my surprise.

4. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I was surprised to see that they even seem to be enouraging the at-risk groups to start circulating again.

And MPs, largely, don't face the risks the general populace faces in terms of overcrowded public transport.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

On the other hand, I wouldn't fancy crowding in with that lot (although I seem to remember the speaker saying that he would not allow it):

[​IMG]

phlogiston likes this.
  6. colacao17

Ditto school corridors at changeover time.

If it's not safe for MPs, it's not safe for the rest.

BetterNow, Catgirl1964, hhhh and 6 others like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Never forget..

"We're all in this together"

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Only if you want to follow scientific opinion!

BetterNow, Catgirl1964, hhhh and 4 others like this.
  9. colacao17

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

How do SNP MPs normally travel to Westminster?

12. WB

WB Lead commenter

First class?

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

They can travel first class but they can only claim the price of an economy price ticket, so they would have to fund the difference themselves if they go first class or business class.

I think that came in as an austerity measure following the MPs expenses scandal.

14. colacao17

You don't really think MPs travel from home constituencies every day. So you single out SNP MPs why, exactly? (Rhetorical)

15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Indeed - MPs are being asked to come back also under restricted conditions and with decent opportunities to social distance.

Perhaps some MPs- as across the board - are finding it is a lot less stressful and therefore more lucrative 'working' in a lockdown?

I am sure I too would not be fighting to go back to my normal work if I was on full pay (and was it 10,000 quid extra in my expenses account because I went home to work??).

Mogg is correct though and he has indeed said we (the MPs) cannot demand others return to work and some risk, while they all sit at home and do the opposite.

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Well how else are they going to push the population back to work?

17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Aren't they saying the 2m should be reduced to 1.5m?

And don't World Health Organisation say 1m is sufficient? Think I saw that somewhere

18. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

Im might be sufficient but 2m is better.

BetterNow and Catgirl1964 like this.
  19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

10m is better still. Where do you want to draw the line?

I was replying to a poster who suggested some MPs wanted the 2m rule abolished altogether. That isn't what the article says, it says they want it reduced to 1.5m

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Tell them to pretend they're at Cheltenham.

Grandsire and EmanuelShadrack like this.