1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MPS 5 / 6 teachers - will you get your pay rise?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lola79, Dec 17, 2015.

1. lola79

lola79 New commenter

So, one cause for slight satisfaction in the recent pay policy changes was an appreciation of experienced teachers, as shown by the 2% pay increase for those at the maxima of the Main Pay Scale.
    But will your school give you this 2%? Some LAs have been advising that schools introduce a split in the MPS maxima, so that it is not M6 any more - but 6a (getting the 1% rise) and 6b (getting the 2% rise).
    I deplore this policy, as for younger teachers it means a longer, slower climb up to decent rates of pay, and putting off the professional development of the UPS. It will affect long term salary, and pension contributiuons.
    Instead of the pat on the back suggested, many will be getting a slap in the face- if, that is, they are even aware of the changes. So many younger teachers are busy, distracted, and maybe not in a union.
    Would you notice?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not quite. There is a subtle but important distinction. The top of the scale has gone up by 2%, but there is nothing in STPCD which says that teachers at the top end should get the rise. There was a rise in the maximum, but it does not have to apply to those at the maximum. Unless, of course, it is in the school's pay policy. (I am not defending the rule - I am merely stating it.)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And stating it absolutely correctly.

Best wishes

5. lola79

lola79 New commenter

That is confusing. The government guidance says that the 2% can be rewarded if performance merits it- so if you hit your performance targets, you get 2%? Why not just go up a grade to UPS?

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Because you have to do more than just hit some targets for UPS. See STPCD, which says that to get UPS:

"a) that the teacher is highly competent in all elements of the relevant standards; and
    b) that the teacher’s achievements and contribution to an educational setting or settings are substantial and sustained."

7. lola79

lola79 New commenter

A late update, I'm rather pleased to come across a school that has moved to adopted the top of the scale point without splitting it in two, so as to motivate and recruit younger teachers!