1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MPS 1?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by JAK06, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi, hope you can answer my query....
    I am currently working my way through my NQT year (all going well so far- fingers crossed) and started September 2011 on MPS 1, same as all other NQTs.
    However I was working on a very part time basis before I started my NQT year and was paid on the MPS1 since March 2011.
    Do I wait until Sept. 2012 to move up the scale or can I query it sooner, given that I have been on this pay scale for over a year now , all be it part time and for a different school?
    Only queried it after reading another post as hadn't even thought about it.
    Many thanks
    Jack

2. Hi, hope you can answer my query....
    I am currently working my way through my NQT year (all going well so far- fingers crossed) and started September 2011 on MPS 1, same as all other NQTs.
    However I was working on a very part time basis before I started my NQT year and was paid on the MPS1 since March 2011.
    Do I wait until Sept. 2012 to move up the scale or can I query it sooner, given that I have been on this pay scale for over a year now , all be it part time and for a different school?
    Only queried it after reading another post as hadn't even thought about it.
    Many thanks
    Jack

3. No, you will have to wait til sep to go up to M2 - you can only go up in sep. When accepting your job offer before you started, you could have mentioned this experience and asked to start on m2, but they prob would have said no. Anyway, too late now.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Just to clarify, we're you working part time teaching? You have to work in a school for at least 1 day per week for 26 weeks in an academic year to move up, if doing supply this doesn't usually count if through an agency. So, if you worked in 26 separate weeks teaching in the academic year 2010-2011 you should have moved up the pay scale in sept, and if this is the case I'm guessing you could query it now and get mps2 backdated to sept. if you did not work in enough individual weeks you will remain mps1 for this academic year and move up in September this year, as long as you've worked the required 26 weeks (which it sounds like you will have).

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Just out of interest, is it 26 weeks including or excluding the half term/christmas/easter holidays?

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Including.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you were on a contract rom March 2011 until 31st August 2011, even for p/t work, you might just have made the 26 week qualifier for being on M2 from Ist Sept 2011 because holiday weeks and sick weeks count as you are still employed.
    However, as you did not start your Induction, I'm assuming that you were employed on M1 daily supply rate by a school and that would not generate 26 qualifying calendar weeks as you can only count weeks when you did some teaching, not the holidays and not weeks when you were not in school through illness etc.
    If anyone realises that they should have had pay progression applied, they CAN get it sorted now and get arrears of pay. It's nothing to do with any negotiations at interview. You inform HR/Salaries about your qualifying recoed of LA employment in the earlier school year and they put you on the correct paypoint and arrange your arrears of pay.
    The OP is more likely to be qualifying for the first pay progression in Sept 2012.
    You don't get bumped up the payscale for passing Induction; it's all about length of service in a school year and can be quite annoying. For instance, someone who worked 25 full school weeks would have worked for 75 school days and would not go up the payscale. Someone who worked one day per week for 26 weeks would get pay progression!