1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MPQ courses

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by frontain, Apr 10, 2018.

1. frontain

frontain New commenter

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on what type of course I should take. Both my HOD and Head teacher have recommended NPQ courses but I am not sure if I should take the Middle Leaders course or the Senior Management course. I am currently Second in Department for English and my Head Teacher recommended taking the SL course as our school offers plenty of independent learning and autonomy in my role. He thinks the ML course would be a waste as I would not be learning anything new. However, it may also look strange to have a SL course on my resume when I apply for HOD in the future. I have 8 years teaching experience and held a variety of roles over the years. My goal is to become a Senior Leader for Curriculum but I want to make sure I am solid in each of the steps that lead to this role so I can be an effective SL.

I am also wondering where I should take my course. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am in Hertfordshire but have easy access to London and Cambridge.

2. Guitargirl28

Guitargirl28 New commenter

Not experienced enough to know myself but I have heard the middle leader ones are a complete waste of time compared to the senior leader ones.

No-one in a school will be worried about you having a higher qualification than the post you are looking at from what I have seen.

3. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

I agree. Go for the SL.

I took the ML course because there was a long queue of people at my school waiting for their turn to do the SL.
    I wouldn't describe the ML as a waste of time but you basically do the same sort of activities and study the same material but come out with a less highly-regarded award. My project was more suitable to the SL as noted in my report so I have done the same hard work but come out with the lesser qualification.

Also I found that I was one of the most experienced teachers on the ML course with slightly less teaching experience than you. There were two RQTs on my course. So you may find you don't gain as much from the experience of your peers if you do the ML.

4. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Did you approach your Head to pay for this or are you paying for it yourself?

5. Antinko

Antinko New commenter

I'm currently doing the NPQML and, while much of it is fairly straight forward, it does get you to think about what you know in different ways and you get to know a lot of other people so I would recommend it.

I was in a similar situation and was offered the SL one but it'd already been booked up by the time it was suggested.