1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MP Dame Louise Ellman leaves the Labour Party

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 16, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Jewish Labour MP Dame Louise Ellman has quit the party after more than half a century, accusing Jeremy Corbyn of being a danger to Britain.

Ellman, 73, told The Times that she had been “deeply troubled for a long time” by the “growth of antisemitism in the Labour Party” under the leader and by his inability to deal with it.

The expected election had forced her to act as she could not tell her constituents to vote him in as prime minister.

“There is certainly a possibility, if not a likelihood, that Jeremy Corbyn could become prime minister, and this means I’ve had to face taking a decision,” she said. “I believe that Jeremy Corbyn would be a danger to the country.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I believe some of labour's policies, if carried out, will be a disaster for the country.
    Now sits back and waits for the howl of protest lol

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Much rejoicing among Labour followers (new school)

4. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

What a coincidence she has decided to resign just before she was deselected.

5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

6. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Their user names all have the letter A in!

Chicken dinner for da winner!

nomad likes this.
  8. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

What a shame that Louise Ellman included a blatant lie in her resignation letter - that there has been "a growth of antisemitism in the Labour Party" under Jeremy Corbyn, when in fact the evidence shows clearly that it has shrunk. What has, in fact changed, is the willingness of the leadership to be critical of the Israeli government and its policies, and a commensurate willingness to vigorously defend and promote the cause of the suffering Palestinian people. Louise Ellman, in once again irresponsibly and wrongly weaponizing the curse that is anti-Semitism for her political and personal ends, is responsible for making Jews feel unsafe and unwelcome in the Labour Party when the exact opposite is true, as many Jews now speaking out on Twitter will attest. As has already been pointed out above, the truth is that Ms Ellman faces deselection by her CLP, Liverpool Wavertree, for her hostile and negative contribution to the Labour cause for the past four years. Her constituents want someone who better represents their aspirations and views, and that is their right,

9. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Her CLP is not Wavertree. That's Luciana Berger, another Jewish woman who has walked away from Labour.

nomad likes this.
  10. MAGAorMIGA

"In 2015, 2016 and 2017, the Campaign Against Antisemitism (CAA) commissioned YouGov to survey British attitudes towards Jews.[376] The 2017 survey found that supporters of the Labour Party were less likely to hold antisemitic views than those of the Conservative Party or the UK Independence Party (UKIP), while those of the Liberal Democrats were the least likely to hold such views. 32% of Labour supporters endorsed at least one "antisemitic attitude", as defined by the CAA, compared to 30% for the Liberal Democrat, 39% for UKIP supporters, and 40% for the Conservatives.[376][377] Further analysis by the blog Evolve Politics of the survey data revealed that, among Labour Party supporters, antisemitism had declined between 2015 and 2017." (from Wikipedia)

800px-UK_antisemitic_attitudes_by_political_position_2017.png

11. MAGAorMIGA

Sorry - you're right. I meant Liverpool Riverside

ROSIEGIRL and nomad like this.
  12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I have no political axe to grind here - I'm fed up with the lot of them and if the election comes along soon I will probably cast my vote by spoiling my ballot paper.

But the abuse that Luciana Berger and Louise Ellman have had to put up with is appalling. If there was a Venn diagram drawn up of it, the intersection between anti-Semitic and those identifying as Corbynites would be significant. And quite sickening too.

Edit. You can throw sexism into the mix too.

Brunel, nomad and lanokia like this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't doubt that Labour party supporters are not more anti-semitic than other parts of the population.

But Labour Party members? Labour Party activists? Momentum activists? Labour Party leadership?

What qualifies as a 'supporter'? Someone likely to vote Labour? I need clarification of definitions.

nomad likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

For example, right now we have a push for a definition of Islamophobia that appears to cover any criticism of Islam as 'Islamophobic'. The same party that is very keen on this definition [Labour] seems to disagree with a definition of anti-semitism that includes criticism of the State of Israel.

As the State of Israel is the only Jewish nation then that is criticism of 100% of the Jewish states in the world. Criticism of Saudi Arabia on the other hand, that is criticism of 1 out of 70 odd Islamic states.

These definitions don't match up. They are working from different base assumptions.

nomad likes this.
  15. cuddlesB4

cuddlesB4 New commenter

Ellman is a racist. Now that she is gone it is a gain not a loss to the Labour party.

hplovegame48 and blue451 like this.
  16. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

What qualifies as 'antisemitic'? Someone who speaks up about palestinian rights? Opposes occupation? I need clarifiaction of definitions.

cuddlesB4 likes this.
  17. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Criticism of Judaism is not the same as criticism of Israeli policy. Many Jews also oppose Israeli policy.
    You know that really - as do most of those who use the 'antisemitism' label to silence critics of occupation.

hplovegame48 likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A party leader who spent three decades on the back-benches consorting with, and never confronting, anti-Semites, Holocaust deniers and terrorists???

lanokia likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah you've got nothing there. You're just repeating my perfectly legitimate questions while failing to provide a single answer.

nomad likes this.