1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mozart Symphony 40 Video

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rockmeamadeus, Mar 11, 2012.

1. After one poster had a go at putting up videos for revision purposes I thought I would have a go - so here is my video of Mozart 40 aimed at my GCSE students for revision purposes. I used Cubase to make the audio track and moviemaker to put together with some text and images.
    Please feel free to share with students if you think it is good enough.
    http://youtu.be/AFflnHq3gMg

2. After one poster had a go at putting up videos for revision purposes I thought I would have a go - so here is my video of Mozart 40 aimed at my GCSE students for revision purposes. I used Cubase to make the audio track and moviemaker to put together with some text and images.
    Please feel free to share with students if you think it is good enough.
    http://youtu.be/AFflnHq3gMg

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Liked it. Clear, and good use of key features. I don't teach GCSE, but would definitely use something like this if I did!
    One spellnig mistook - imitation had 2 mms. (bet you didn't want to hear that)

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Very nicely presented. There's a wrong note in the music example that appears around the 3-minute mark: the first note of bar 15 should be F# not F.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I liked it too. I wish I'd had something similar when I was doing O level many years ago, especially as I was a bit rubbish at taking notes. I remember that I quoted a bit of Faure's Requiem (as a contrast to whatever we studied) completely and utterly wrong, just writing it down, as I thought it went, out of my head.
    I was a bit horrified that only the first movement is studied though. Is this normal these days (yes, I know I'm an old fuddy duddy)? How many other works are studied? We did (all of) Vivaldi's Gloria, a Britten song cycle and something else that I've forgotten, but they were all complete works. Am I bit old fashioned to think that studying hte whole thing would make more sense? I was going to say it's as wrong as only studying part of a book but I understand that's pretty common these days. Sigh.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It is normal - Edexcel specifies single movements even at A-level, although AQA specifies complete multi-movement works at A-level, as I recall.
    11 for Edexcel GCSE, although they are all either songs, short pieces or single movements. The Mozart is by far and away the most demanding of the 12 works.
    Edexcel seems to pander to the modern view that the young cannot concentrate on anything that is more than a few minutes in length.
    In my day, we did all of Brahms' first symphony for O-level music, plus Mozart's Clarinet Quintet and (I think) Britten's Les Illuminations - all complete.

7. It's actually a piece I had picked to use as a set work for my BTEC students so I will definitely use it, thank you very much for sharing, your timing is excellent.

I have to say that while I really like it i'm a little disappointed that you don't sound like the rock god I had imagined you to be in my head. I'm hoping that you had to get someone in to do the voiceover because you sounded too cool and gruff for an educational video :)

8. I will do a gruff voice over version just for you jennymus.I worked for BBC local radio and that was my best classical music voice.

I've noticed several irritating errors already. Apart from mispelling a word that skeleton score (which I lazily lifted from the net im glad to say) has not just a wrong note but is in quadruple time when the music should be in divided C time.

I might also list the instruments used in double wind because some students might not know them all.

Next project is the Handle chorus.

9. cmf

cmf

Sounds like a great idea, just wish I could open youtube, its banned, I have to get someone to save the video file and then imbed into PPT to show the students.

10. great resource thankyou for sharing!! Will be sharing with my Y11s on Thursday!