1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up UPS

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by chrisboddy, Sep 14, 2019.

1. chrisboddy

chrisboddy New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently on UPS 1 & have been for 2 years now. I am phase lead (tlr 2b) & now, as of this year, Humanities lead. I am a Year 6 teacher.

The usual line states that you need two successful appraisals before moving up the UPS scale: my first year on UPS1 however we had a bad SATS year & therefore 'failed' appraisal (2 targets met, 2 partially met) based on that, last year however Sats results improved 15-20% with me as year lead/phase lead & appraisal was successful.

Despite not having two successful appraisals I feel there are definitely grounds here to apply for a move up the pay scale given the added responsibility in conjunction with leading a decent rise in SATS scores.

I was wondering if there was a hard & fast answer or whether anyone knew how the land lies in a situation such as this?

Cheers

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not sure what you mean by "the usual line". What matters is your own school's pay policy - does that include it? Either way, my suggestion would be to put in an application and see what happens. If you are turned down, you might decide that the pay policy is not being followed correctly, and be able to appeal.

The policy might include other things, so an application should address them. STPCD has a vague line about your wider contribution to the school, which some construe as having to be outside your usual duties. I am not convinced that this is right, but it happens. Good luck.