1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up to UPS2

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by surf kitty too, Oct 13, 2018.

1. surf kitty too

surf kitty too Occasional commenter

I have been on UPS1 since 1st Sept 2015 - thought it was only two years but its actually 3!

How do I ensure that I move up to UPS2 this year...I have checked on my PM paperwork and all my targets were pretty standard about % of learners meeting targets etc, with no mention of anything 'above and beyond' or linked to UPS (at least, I couldn't find any wording on it to say 'this target is to be completed to ensure movement up the scale')

I have tried to gather as much evidence as possible on my other targets, which I have met.
    What more will I need to do?

Oh, and my PM meeting was cancelled this week, and so far has not been rescheduled....what if it isn't done by 31st - do I automatically go up?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Is there an application process?

There is no centrally administered application process nor is there a standard application form for completion by the teacher. Decisions on progression will be taken in the school by the Principal and it is important for a Principal to make clear to all teachers the process to be used to inform his/her decision-making.

I'm finding it very hard to track down the England document. This is from N Ireland.

Assume nothing. Track everything. Keep a record of everything. The main thing you will need to do is pin the bug.gers down. GET the meeting and GET the approval. Don't think about the hoops. You've jumped them.

Are they trying to fob you off? Maybe. Don't let them. You should get it. Make sure you do.

3. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

When I went from UPS1 to 2, it had to go to the Governors Staffing Committee and approved by them. Certainly no automatic move up the scale. This was a while ago, mind, so things might have changed since then.

4. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Our staff had to put forward a portfolio of evidence of how they have achieved all three appraisal targets for last two years and how they are contributing to the wider community of the school e.g. could be non curriculum e.g. improving student voice/have lead a particular area e.g. the school house system. The Head has to put you forward to the Governors for UPS. Contact your Head to make sure you are on the list to go to Governors. Good luck.