1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up to post threshold pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by senteachinginfo, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Hi. I am in my 5th year of teaching and starting to think about applying for threshold (if that's the correct term). I've read and heard contradictory advice in the past about what I need to do. Some teachers I know have had to produce lots of evidence in a portfolio to show they meet the relevant standards. Other heads seem happy to go by performance management meeting records and lesson observations. What happens in your school? Any info will be gratefully received. Thank you.

2. If you do a search along the lines of teacher threshold 2011 it will tell you what to do. Basically it is based on your PM reviews (I think for the past 2 years) so you have to make sure your targets were linked to the criteria. In addition, I did an A4 sheet of the standards and a few bullet points (based on PM reviews) to show that I had definitely achieved this (you don't HAVE to do this, but I wanted no risk of being turned down!)

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Portfolios of evidence is what teachers compiled before the introduction of the Performance Management route to Threshold in 2010.
    The only teachers who should now be compiling a Threshold portfolio are unattached teachers, such as peripatetic ones or supply teachers who have no PM nad have to use the old application form.
    Even with the old application form, the portfolio was not submitted with the application and was only brought into play if the Head did not accept the signed statements made on the form and wanted to see documantary evidence.
    The PM route should involve your Line Manager ascertaining whether you have met your targets, psossibly through you showing documentary evidence, and the job for the Head is then made easier when adjudicationg Threshold as long as your PM targets over 2 years have allowed you to show that you are meeting the 10 Post Threshold standards.
    You therefore need to scrutinise your PM Targets for your M5 and M6 years and make sure that they are Threshold friendly.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I wouldn't get too excited about it. As other threads suggest, it looks like everything is going to change. From what we have been told, PM reviews will be much more focused on standards, and it is possible that the two scales willl be combined into one. If you are on M6, by all means apply. If you are on M5, I would wait to see what happens, although if nothing changes, you will be able to get the standards incorporated into you 2012-13 review.