1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up to Deputy Head

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by AlexiT, Nov 22, 2019.

?

Deputy Head in Charge of Pastoral

1. Challenging but rewarding

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Veil of tears

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. AlexiT

AlexiT New commenter

I am considering applying for a Deputy Head of Pastoral job - pretty obvious which one - in Oxford.

The Family and I want to move up that way as we want out kids to be closer to family.

I am currently an Assistant Principal, with a mix of curriculum, pastoral and whole school responsibilities, 15 years experience.

I am wondering what people think are the pros and cons of this sort of role? I'm in two minds about whether I want the job. I'm fairly sure I could do it.

Cheers, Alex

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

It’s not a curriculum based role- although you’ll still probably have some teaching responsibility, you’ll be supporting the Head of Pastoral and deputising for them in their absence.

I think this could be a demotion for you- you won’t have full responsibility that you seem to have now?

3. TheBigA

TheBigA Occasional commenter

I think he means it's a Deputy HT role with a pastoral remit.

What I would say, just based on my own experience, is that if you apply for a job you must want it. Don't apply just because the job is in an area you want to move to. Do your research and make sure the remit is one you can see yourself fulfilling, if you do not want a pastoral remit then it isn't the job for you - even if you applied and got it.

When it comes to the pros and cons that's really for you to decide. If your goal is headship, will this post help you get there? How will it challenge and develop you professionally? What is the point of patoral care in school and what impact do you think a pastoral deputy head can have?