1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up the payscale

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by weejocklassie, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi,
    wonder if anyone knows - I have heard that we are not getting a payrise in September - I don't mean the % payrise, I know we aren't getting that, it's the increment on the payscale.
    Might just be a rumour, but I wondered if anyone knows for sure - obviously it's quite a big amount of money!

Thanks

2. Hi,
    wonder if anyone knows - I have heard that we are not getting a payrise in September - I don't mean the % payrise, I know we aren't getting that, it's the increment on the payscale.
    Might just be a rumour, but I wondered if anyone knows for sure - obviously it's quite a big amount of money!

Thanks

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

As far as I'm aware, there will be a pay freeze for 2 years from this coming September but teachers will continue to progress and move up the payscale. So, as an NQT now, if you have worked at least 26 weeks in your current school and successfully pass induction, you will move onto M2 of the current payscale in September.

4. That's good news then! Hope it stays like that! Thank you

5. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

As far as I am aware they can't stop you moving up the payscale on points. If they did I think the unions would be in there like a shot.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's actually the % (cost of living) rise that will not happen because of the pay freeze.
    Thus, the amount paid for M1 in Sept 2011 will be the same as for M1 in Sept 2010.
    Pay progression will be unaffected if you meet the 26 'week' requirement (employment, even p/t, in at least 26 weeks paid by an LA).
    As an NQT, you DO NOT need to have completed Induction in order to move up the payscale. If it is incomplete but you have served in the necessary 26 weeks, without being subjetc to competency proceedings, you move up the payscale.
    Someone on a 0.2 contract would take 5 years to complete Induction and would be on at least M5 by the time that they passed Induction (assuming that they started on M1. Some NQTs, my sister included, start higher: she began on M3)

The 26 weeks can include holiday weeks and weeks off sick if you are on a contract (it's employment weeks that count). Those on daily paid supply (paid by the LA) can only count weeks when they did some LA paid teaching.
    The anomaly is that 25 weeks (125 days) of full-time teaching is not enough but 26 days, with each in a separate calendar week, is sufficient to get onto the next pay point.

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Whoops! I should know this as we had an NQT in school who started last January and moved up in September before completing in December, but I had forgotten! [​IMG]