1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up the pay scale

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Thespirit82, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Thespirit82

Thespirit82 New commenter

Hi all

First post so bear with me! I am currently an NQT in an academy, therefore pay scales no longer apply. I started in September on M2 so there is clearly flexibility. I had a previous career before moving into working in schools 6 years ago (cover in a PRU for the first 3 - baptism of fire!)

Over the year so far I have had 5 outstanding observations, ran 2 trips, I have responsibility for an entire A Level, other teachers now observe my behaviour management and EAL strategies, and I am planning a whole school event later in the year (off my own back). I have had many positive comments from parents to the Head which I have been congratulated on. It's already been pointed out By SLT that I do much more than a lot of the established teachers in the school and they have asked me about future ambitions with a view to shadowing an AHT next year.

My question is this - if I ask to move more than one point up the pay scale will this give the message that I want to be rewarded for my efforts and I'm not just cheap labour (whether I get it or not, which seems unlikely in the current climate) or will I look like somebody "in it for the money" and therefore go down in the schools estimation?

It's a lovely school, approachable, friendly Slt.

First post so apologies if I've rambled!

Thanks

2. Thespirit82

Oh, I should add, I'm in a very small Dept (computer science) so promotion opportunities may be lacking for a few years as there is no second in Dept post

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If you are a qualified CS teacher then the best way to improve your pay is to apply to other schools. Qualified CS teachers are very thin on the ground.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You can ask..,., may not get though. It is then what?

I don't think you are going to make a jump to AHT really without doing the bit in between.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

And don't apologise for expecting to be remunerated for your efforts!

6. Thespirit82

Oh absolutely - I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort! I only pointed it out as an example of the schools future plans for me, as such.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually they don't apply in ANY school unless the school's individual Pay Policy says so .

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

You can ask, of course, but you don't know what the norm is for other teachers. It may be that the norm is no rise up the pay scale at all, unless there has been exceptional contribution. Or exceptional sustained contribution,which would mean more than just the few terms that you have.

You will need to see what the school's Pay Policy says.

My feel is that asking for not one but two jumps is a step too far. But if this is allowed in the Pay Policy, and you comply with the criteria for a double rise, then you can point that out.

But if there is in the policy no provision for such a rise, or you do not comply, then . . .

Best wishes

8. Thespirit82

Thanks for the replies all. I'm aware that a teacher moved from m3 to m6 last year due to vaguely similar circumstances so there is a precedent. From reading these forums my school seems to be an oddity!

I'm more concerned about there being any negative consequences from asking the question.

9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I missed this at first. this really does concern me. NQT shadowing AHT. Really! If it wasn't against TES T&C I would ask you to identify the school so that others can avoid it.

10. Thespirit82

Why is this a concern?! I can't see a single issue with this - it's for me to gain an understanding of what their role involves over the next year as an rqt so I can start making decisions about my career path and where I want to go. Why is this not a positive thing?

Not exactly the same as, or anything like, me saying "I'm an NQT who is also an AHT" or "I'm going to apply for SLT in the next 2 years" is it?

Am I missing something here?

itsqueenbx likes this.
  11. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Because you need to learn the craft of teaching before thinking about this!

12. Thespirit82

Well obviously... Please don't make comments as if I'm some fresh faced 22 year old who thinks they can be a head by 30. But surely it's useful to have an understanding of what happens above you to help you a. Start to move your career in the direction you want (pastoral? Curriculum? Something else?) and b. Have a wider understanding of the context of your teaching?

You've lost me.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think it's that NQTs - however old they are and with whatever 'outside' experience - ought to be focusing on being a really good teacher and getting some years of being a really good teacher under their belts. It's the notion that people go into 'teaching' and within their first year are already thinking of moving into management and doing a lot 'less teaching' that rankles with many people.

Jesmond12 and wanet like this.
  14. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I do think @wanet has a point. I didn't read the post well enough to see you were an nqt!

You would be better shadowing a head of department really.... Not your problem, but I wonder what the point of you shadowing a AHT is? It is so far in the future really at your stage of your career. I wouldn't worry about your 'career pathway' for at least another 12 or 24 months. You haven't started to develop experience as a teacher yet.

wanet and Middlemarch like this.
  15. Thespirit82

Which is fine, and which I agree with, I'm just not sure where all the hate for this has come from, especially considering my question had nothing to do with progression!

Heaven forbid a school should be helping someone gain a wider experience and think about their future. Do we not send students out on work experience?! Should we say to them, actually get your degree under your belt before you even think about becoming a lawyer? Of course not.

Considering I do an awful lot outside of my classroom teaching already, some of which I won't be doing next year anyway due to certain changes in the school, it doesn't seem as if this will impact on my teaching and reflection thereupon, so just lay off. I am keen to learn as much as I can and I am well aware I am in the early stages of THIS career. I am grateful my school is giving me the chance to do so. Not thinking of less teaching, not thinking of moving into management yet. I'm not actually stupid.

I'm sorry I asked, TES = home of the bitter and negative it seems.

That said, thank you for the relevant advice where it has been provided esp @TheoGriff

16. Thespirit82

I already essentially shadow the hod and assist with schemes of work etc, rewriting them where necessary, taking on responsibility for life after levels etc etc where we agree that I have more time to do so. Again, this wasn't my question.

17. wanet

wanet Star commenter

What hate? Was just giving advice!
    But you mentioned it as though it was relevant.

18. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Do you know one thing I hate @Thespirit82? Posters who come along and only want a discussion on 1) Their terms- only discussing a minutiae of the post that they wish to discuss 2) Quickly get their back up with people who try to broaden the debate 3) make personal snap judgments on people who answer and try and help you.

I would think twice before bothering to reply to any of your posts again. You seem a particularly rude poster.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not when they're in Y7.

bajan likes this.
  20. Thespirit82

To be honest I wouldn't actually need to think twice about posting again, it won't happen.

I mentioned it as an example of SLT having faith in me, that's all.

Question was about pay (answered helpfully by @TheoGriff - suddenly it's about an imaginary scenario of me planning for management too soon? Yes, clearly me at fault there.

Anyway, that's the end of that.