1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving up the pay scale

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by anntoinette, May 15, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am an NQT, I started supply in June 2010 until December. Then I started a temporary contract for two terms in January 2011 on pay scale M1. I will be starting a new school in September 2011, am I suppose to go up to M2? Due to the fact that I have one years teaching experience?

Thank you.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Pay Progression is not based on your teaching experience per se.
    It's based on how many weeks you were employed by an LA school, on the LA payroll, in an academic year.
    If your 2010 teaching was via an agency, it's not counted as you weren't paid on the M scale or the the Upper Pay Scale of the teachers' payspine.
    As you have been M1 since Jan 2011 you should meet the 26 week qualifier for progressing to M2 in September IF you have been on contract pay (paid the same amount at the end of every month) and paid during holiday periods too. Contract teachers are employed when on paid sick leave and when on school holidays and all those weeks count towards the 26.
    Daily paid LA supply teachers are only employed in the weeks when they do some teaching. A 'week' for pay progression can be a p/t or f/t week. A daily paid teacher would need to have worked on 26 separate days in 26 separate calendar weeks in order to progress on the payscale in the next school year.
    26 such days would do it but 25 f/t weeks (125 days ) would not!

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You look at employment 'weeks' between 1st Sept one year and 31st August the next.