1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving Up The Pay Scale When There Is No Performance Management.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by james., Oct 12, 2015.

1. james.

james. New commenter

Hi,

I started my current job last October. By this time the school had just finished its performance management. I was not given any performance management targets. I asked at the time and they said they'd sort it, but never did.
    When it has come around again this year, my line manager told me I should have been given some. I now have some in place for this year.

This September I haven't been moved up the pay scale, but obviously I would like to have done so.

Does anyone know if there are any rules on this. Was it the schools job to provide the performance management targets? Or mine? Am I allowed to ask to move up the pay scale as I have done everything I have been asked and technically I haven't failed my targets? (I'm on the main pay scale.)

I'd be more than happy to prove I've done a good job to the school, all my students made progress and lessons were all rated outstanding, so I feel a bit annoyed that a good year isn't recognised.

Thanks for any help.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, James, I'm sorry that you have had this disappointment, but . . .

But nobody can give you an answer here, because it all depends on what your school's Pay policy says . . .

Sorry!

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Sounds completely shambolic

You should agree targets with your line manager. However, the process is their responsibility.

I'd be asking for a backdated pay rise...

mark6243 likes this.
  4. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

Haha, this is what Gove's intention was all along. With no automatic pay spine increases anymore, no-one gets a pay rise. With budgets being cut, even if a decent HT wants to, you're not getting a rise. The business manager will though, you can guarantee that.

cat2611, james. and monicabilongame like this.
  5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Tough. You should have started in September!

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It may not be relevant in the current climate, but some years ago, I became the head of a school where there had been no PM and no targets set for several years. There were staff eligible to move from UPS2 to UPS3 during that time. As the school had been negligent in failing to provide them with the PM targets & to to hold PM meetings, we had to move them to UPS3 regardless. One I was very happy to move, one probably not, one definitely not.

Not sure whether the school's failure to follow the rules could be used to your advantage?