1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up the pay scale as a supply/part time teacher

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by hgoodenough, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hello everyone.
    I have been a full time teacher for 3 years. I then moved to a different county and did supply teaching Sept to November 2011 and then stopped working to give birth in November. I plan on finding a part time job in June/July 2012 where I assume I will be on the fourth pay scale as it will be my fourth year of teaching.
    Does anyone know if I will still move up to the fifth pay scale in September 2012? I'm not sure how it works with me not working full time for the year Sept 2011 - Aug 2012.
    Thank you!

2. Hello everyone.
    I have been a full time teacher for 3 years. I then moved to a different county and did supply teaching Sept to November 2011 and then stopped working to give birth in November. I plan on finding a part time job in June/July 2012 where I assume I will be on the fourth pay scale as it will be my fourth year of teaching.
    Does anyone know if I will still move up to the fifth pay scale in September 2012? I'm not sure how it works with me not working full time for the year Sept 2011 - Aug 2012.
    Thank you!

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

You have to have worked at least 1 day per week for at least 26 weeks in an academic year to move up, and it has to be through an LA not an agency. This includes holidays and sick days if you are on a contract.
    Assuming you worked at least 1 day per week supply in Sep-Nov 2011, that's a maximum of 11 weeks (3x4, with 1 week out for half term) which would count, but only if it was direct through schools/LA, not an agency. If you restart in June/July 2012 (good luck with that by the way.....I'm not being mean but you've got a very specific time scale and want part time, do you know what the job market is like atm? Pop on to jobseekers forum.....) you will not get enough weeks to make up the 26 for this academic year. I assume you'd be on m4 in this situation assuming you finished in July 2011 on m3. I'm assuming you are not getting any maternity pay through an LA or anything?
    I think you'll stay on m4 in Sept 2012.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Post ~2 is correct. There's no way you can meet the 26 week quailifier in this school year even if you managed to find LA paid teaching every week in June and July. That means that for 2012/12 school year you stay on the same LA rate (M4) that you are entitled to in this school year.
    Did you not qualify for Maternity Leave from your last employer? ML weeks in this school year would count towards the 26 weeks.