1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up the pay scale after only working 1 term?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Ellie1293, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Ellie1293

Ellie1293 New commenter

Hi all,
    I was a class teacher in Scotland for Term 1 of the 18/19 year before leaving at Christmas to go travelling. I will be back in the UK soon and will be searching for teacher jobs in England in the new school year.
    When in Scotland, I was earning at level 2 on the pay scale, equivalent to M3 in England. Should I expect to still be working at M3 when I begin teaching again, as I didn't complete a full year at this level, or does the term I completed entitle me to move up to M4?
    I completely understand if I will still be at M3, just a little annoying that it will mean a pay decrease for me moving from Scotland back to the English scales!
    Thanks! :)

2. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

There is no pay portability at all. Previous experience and previous pay scales are no longer a guarantee of equivalent pay, even if you haven’t had a break.
    You may well find that schools want to put you on M1. You don’t have to accept it but they don’t have to offer anything else.
    You need to accept that they may also see the fact that you worked for a term and then went travelling as a bit flaky. I’d have a good explanation of why you are now committed to a school and an area when you complete an application and at interview as generally schools like their staffing to remain as stable as possible during the school year.
    Sorry that isn’t more positive but it’s the way it is. You’ve only worked a term a year ago; you are not really offering any more than an NQT would.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I agree with cheesypops, although its a little unclear from what you have said whether you worked prior to 2018/19 and, if so, for how long ( perhaps you could clarify?). Unless you teach a shortage subject, the chances are you will be offered M1.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you are really lucky, perhaps a school will be desperate and have no alternative other than you, if they want somebody to start in September. In which case, perhaps you will be offered above the minimum on the payscale. Otherwise, you will need to convince them that you can offer more than an NQT. What is important is that you agree on pay before accepting a job. This might come up at interview, but if not, you will need to bring it up at some point.

For what it is worth, under the old system in England, a term of work in a school year would not have been sufficient to allow you to move up the scale.

How many years have you been teaching for? In England, the norm is to be on M2 in your second year of teaching etc. This does not have to be true, because you can move down when changing schools, or a school might find reason not to move you up. But in any case, it will be very hard to make a case for more than this.

By the way, if you intend to work in England, download and read STPCD, which is used by all LA schools and some others. Amongst other things, it will clarify how pay works here.

5. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Have you completed induction in Scotland and been signed or are you still doing their version of an NQT year?

6. Ellie1293

Ellie1293 New commenter

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Sorry if I wasn't clear! I completed my NQT year in England and then moved to Scotland, teaching at the same school for a full year on M2 and an additional term on M3, so have taught for 2 and a half years. Qualifications wise I have a BSc in Psychology, PGCE Primary and a Masters degree in Special and Inclusive Education. Due to family circumstances I then needed to move back down to England and so decided that if I had to leave my school/home in Scotland anyway I might as well take the opportunity to travel before settling down again. I am in the process of buying a house in England now so am looking for a school in the long term.
    Completely understand that one term at M3 shouldn't really be sufficient for me to move up the scale but just wanted a rough idea of what I should be aiming for :) I didn't actually realise that you can move right back to the bottom of the scale when moving schools, guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed! Thanks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Thanks for the clarification. I think you need to more proactive. If I were you, I would try to negotiate M3. Don't accept M1 if you can help it.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

i'm more hard-hearted than Piranha ( or perhaps because my budget is dire!) but I would only pay M2:oops: as you have completed your NQT year in England.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I did say "try to negotiate". It would seem fair to take account of the full year in Scotland, but I appreciate that this could be seen as a reason not to go to M3. Still, nothing ventured...

10. Ellie1293

Ellie1293 New commenter

Okay thank you! At least it sounds like I won't be offered only M1 so will try for M3 (as that is still quite a big decrease from Scotland's M3). If it's a school that I really like I would accept M2 if that was their only offer as I'm looking to properly settle somewhere now after a few moves! Thanks for the advice!

Piranha likes this.