1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up pay scales after late finish to NQT year.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sid2006, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hi! I am about to start my 4th year in teaching in September but I'm going to be on M2. this is because I finished my NQT year in December 2010 due to leaving my first school after completing 2 terms. From April 2009 to July 2009 I did daily supply but september 2009 to July 2010 I was a PPA supply teacher at the same school, this is the school I'm with now. So if I'm beginning my 4th year in teaching, should I be able to be skip main pay scales so that my years in teaching align with my pay scale. Seems a bit sad I'm behind everyone who graduated with me even though I've been teaching the same amount of years :(

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Completing Induction is not related to pay progression.
    Pay progression happens when you have worked in at least 26 separate weeks for an LA employer (whether p/t or f/t) between 1st Sept and 31st August in any school year.
    You need to look at each school year when you have worked as an LA paid teacher. If you were M1 in the first LA employment, you should have moved to M2 in the following school year if you met the 26 week qualifier. That would happen even if you hadn't even started Induction through working on short-term supply teaching in those 26 weeks.
    If paid on a contract basis, you can count calendar weeks when you were on paid holiday or paid sick leave.
    If employed on supply/LA daily rate, you only count calendar weeks when you had some (even just one day) of teaching work.
    Agency paid work does not count towards pay progression unless there's no LA supply provisionand the LA nominates an agency and agrees to accept work through the agency for pay award purposes when you later get LA work.
    If you worked on LA contract for two terms in your first job, you should have managed the 26 week qualifier for moving to M2 for the Sept 2009-July 2010 PPA teaching IF that PPA work was LA paid.
    You would then have moved to M3 for your LA teaching in the 2010-11 school year and, assuming you met the 26 qualifier in that year, M4 this September.

3. Thank you for all your advice. I'm pretty certain now that I should be on M3 this September so I'm going to check with my LA to find out what my pay scale is.