1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving up pay scale

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bookcadet, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hello

I'm currently on MPS 5 and have been off sick for over two months this year. I'm back, but doing a phased return and won't be back to a full time teaching this academic year, just as part of a team teaching and other support roles.

Will I go up to MPS6 next year under these circumstances?

Thanks

2. coppull

coppull New commenter

Good news to your question is yes.
    The bad news is you will have less take home pay this month because of the increase in pension contributions. There is also no pay rise in September because of the pay freeze.[​IMG]

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The rule for pay progression is thta you have been employed in at least 26 separate calendar weeks between 1st Sept and 31st August, whether p/t or f/t.
    Thus, someone on 0.2 (one day per week) would go up the payscale in the next school year based on 26 days of employment. If ona contract that would not even be 26 days in school as they would be employed during half term and end of term breaks and those weeks count towards the 26, as do weeks on paid sick leave.
    LA daily rate supply teachers count the calendar weeks when then they had some teaching work in a school, so need a minimum of 26 days of teaching, with each in a separate calendar week.
    The OP will move to M6 irrespective of the sick weeks and irrespective of the phased return.
    The OP will get increased pay from September as the pay freeze does not stop employees progressing on the payspine or getting promotion posts. M6 in Sept 2012 will be paid at the same rate as M6 was in Sept 2011 and 2010. Even with the increased pension payments, the OP will be better off from Sept 2012 than they are now on M5.

4. Thank you!