1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving up from M6-help please.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mooncheek, Feb 8, 2011.

1. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Please can you advise me on how long it takes to get from M6 to Upper 1? Is it the normal 1 year progression to get to Upper 1 from M6, or is it a 2 Year progression, (as is the case for Upper 1 to Upper 2.) Thanks for any help.

2. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Please can you advise me on how long it takes to get from M6 to Upper 1? Is it the normal 1 year progression to get to Upper 1 from M6, or is it a 2 Year progression, (as is the case for Upper 1 to Upper 2.) Thanks for any help.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

To get from M6 to UPS 1 you need to apply to go through threshold, which is dependent on achieving the post threshold standards. It is not an automatic progression as progression through M scales is.

4. Be wary of moving from MS to UPS as I know of teacher's who can't get a job outside London cos they're 'too expensive'.

5. I meant ' teacher's who say...'

6. lol without the apostrophe :)

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would agree with the too expensive thing...if you really want to be a primary classroom teacher for a long time then be prepared to stay in the same school. Many jobs are advertised as M1-M6 only and those that aren't often go to cheaper staff.

However if your next school move will be for a promoted post or you are happy where you are then go for it as soon as you meet all the standards.