1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lr144, May 28, 2016.

1. lr144

lr144 New commenter

Hi all,

I've been asked to consider a move to year 5. I didn't train in KS2 so have 0 experience. I just wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of resources or give me advice in relation to any aspect of KS2 practice. I would appreciate it if this thread could be a positive one (telling me not to do it isn't going to change my mind - I need to find out for myself). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Buy a grammar book and brush up. Look through all of the Maths Hub resources for the upper KS2 maths curriculum. Look through all the current Y5 books to see what they are capable of (this will mean you won't end up pitching too low or expecting too little). Have a look through the recent SATs papers and example papers.

Ask the current Y5 teacher if you can spend a lesson in their room and also spend a lesson observing your current Y4 (I think observing your next class is far more useful than any getting-to-know-you transition activities).

You'll be fine. If your HT thinks you'd be good at that end of the school then I'd take it as a compliment and trust their judgement. I personally love teaching Y5. The kids have got a sense of humour by that age and you can have a laugh with them. Much more of a two-way rapport. And they're far more independent. And without the pressures of Y6!

Good luck.

SportyK and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. lr144

lr144 New commenter

Thanks Nick, great advice.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Did I mention the lack of 'patting'? Yes, Y5 kids don't pat you. Nor do they sneeze in your face.

This alone should be enough to convince you.

ecawemma and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I always treated it as useful to know what children did lower down the school to build on their knowledge in Year 5 where one can start to see enormous leap forwards. Having got past the decoding aspect of reading and getting into the understanding really gives chidren the chance to experiment with ideas and 'fly'.

Nick's advice is good. I agree watching your 'future' Year 5s will give you much more of an idea of realistic expectations- they change so much from Sep to July.

There are masses of resources out there to help you. Go for it.

6. lr144

lr144 New commenter

Haha! You mean the days of a little one somehow directing a cough right into my mouth may be over? I'm totally convinced now.

7. lr144

lr144 New commenter

Thanks Lara.

8. Lara mfl 05

Plus you might find your clothes need less washing.;) You know you won't have those grubby marks on your sleeves.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You will have far, far less preparing of resources. All those times when you cut things out ready for the class? Year 5 can do it themselves. All that time mounting work for display? Year 5 will do it for you in their break times, especially in the winter.

However, your marking load will increase beyond all expectations. Ensure you are fully up on effective peer and self assessment, especially for writing.

Landofla and SportyK like this.
  10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

They can mark each other's maths books though!

Lara mfl 05 and SportyK like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Definitely! The OP could go months without marking maths books if they work in a sensible school which doesn't do book scrutinies. :)

But writing is trickier for pupils to peer mark, but sooooooo needed for a good work-life balance for the teacher.

12. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

They older they are, the more they can do for themselves. However, I do find that behaviour issues can be harder to deal with when they're older.

13. Lara mfl 05

Yes peer marking can be really helpful.
    If you give the children the criteria for marking (as in 3 stars and a wish with certain features to look for) they can mark quite a fair bit of English too.

14. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

Some great advice here. I have been in Year 6 for a while now and would also recommend asking the Year 6 teachers what they wished their children were secure in at the start of Year six. With the higher expectations in maths especially, it is really important that some basic skills (multiplication, fractions of amounts, improper/mixed numbers and TIMES TABLES etc) are secured in year 5.

Landofla, nick909 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Coming from another long-time Y6 teacher, I cannot say mow much I like this post!

cellerdore and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

@cellerdore, you're spot on. Year 5 might sound like a softer option (no SATs to do) but lots of prep' work and skills need embedding in year 5 to prepare the children for what is a significant step in year 6. I love working in year 5 and don't want to move, I've got my fingers crossed for y4/5 split class next year. @Ir44, @nick909 is spot on, look at the maths hubs, especially for lesson structure, also check out IPEELL for writing which is good for structuring and embedding planning when writing across genres. :)

17. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Year 5 is my favourite year to teach. Great kids and great curriculum to get your teeth into. Drill them with tables so they know multiplication and division off by heart with plenty of time to practice. I would thoroughly recommend Kensuke's Kingdom as a class book to read and A Christmas Carol is great to do in the build up to Xmas for literacy, especially if you are doing a topic on the Victorians.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

Can I ask what IPEELL is?

19. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

20. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

You might find the resources and planning on my website useful www.emmarogers.org.uk There are some recommended texts for Y5s which would give you a good starting point http://emmarogers.org.uk/recommended-story-books-for-y5/ Find yourself a really great novel to read aloud to the class will get the term off to a good start. It is wonderful reading to Y5s - you can choose something a bit meatier to sink their teeth into like Skellig or Boy Overboard. I agree that having good subject knowledge will really help you to feel more confident so brush up on your grammar and use the glossary at the back of the NC to help refresh you on what all those terms mean! If you are based in the East Midlands/North you might also like to come to my poetry and language development course for Y5 and Y6 teachers on 6th July - we will plan a unit for the first 2 weeks of September so your English planning will be taken care of!