1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Year 4 - top tips, topics, themes?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sb741, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hiya, I'm moving in to Year 4 in September, having started in Reception and worked my way up through Reception and Years 1/2/3. Our Year 4 curriculum is pretty tired, and I just wondered if anyone has any successful topics/themes they can recommend? I'll be taking some children up with me, so I want to make sure next year is exciting and a real change for them! Any other top tips on Literacy texts, games, day to day organisation etc. would be gratefully received!

2. That's brill, thanks Cally. Got a few ideas so far, but it's always good to hear from experience too :eek:)

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Year 4 is great! We've done lots of work on 'Varjak Paw' this year, as it ties in well cross-curricular; the children really, really love that book! Also 'Fly, Eagle, Fly!' and 'Grandpa Chatterji' to link with Africa/India (and we eat a curry!). We always do an endangered animals topic in Literacy, to link to India as well.
    They love most Roald Dahl books, lots of Michael Morpurgo too, many of mine enjoy Harry Potter and they all love it when I'm a bit silly!