1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jackieee, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Hi, I have been told today that I am moving from year 3 to year 1.

Does anybody have any advice? Great book corner ideas? Good display ideas? What should I expect?

Any advice????

Thanks!!!!!

2. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

These are only the tip of the iceberg. Year 1 is a tricky year group for many reasons. Primarily because of the transition from EYFS to NC but also because many will come into Y1 have very little understanding of phonics, many will not be at the writing stage and many will only be able to read very simple cvc words. This isn't a big problem as long as you can get your head around how to ensure emergent readers and writers move forward. I would be asking to observe your reception and yr 1 colleagues asap. Well when I say 'many' children I suppose that depends on the school but it was certainly the case in my old school.
    Spend your time researching EYFS and development in children rather than worrying about displays. Sorry if that sounds harsh but when I first moved to year 1 I don't think I spent enough time thinking about the level they were actually at. I just got exasperated by their lack of finger spaces, full stops, things not making sense etc. It wasn't their fault - it was the level they were at. It was my mistake.

3. Amazing advice! I will give it a go!