1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving to year 1 from y3/4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mich21761, Jun 19, 2011.

1. mich21761

mich21761 New commenter

Can anyone give me some advice, I ha been told that I am going to Y1 in sept and I am already panicking. Not my forte. How do you start to plan, we are about to start creative curriculum? How do you set up your class. I would appreciate any advice and support, also if anyone has a plans I could look at tha would be good. Someone said I ahve to ahve a focussed activity each day and then the rest pretty much choose. Is this right? HELP!

2. mich21761

mich21761 New commenter

Can anyone give me some advice, I ha been told that I am going to Y1 in sept and I am already panicking. Not my forte. How do you start to plan, we are about to start creative curriculum? How do you set up your class. I would appreciate any advice and support, also if anyone has a plans I could look at tha would be good. Someone said I ahve to ahve a focussed activity each day and then the rest pretty much choose. Is this right? HELP!

3. I don't envy you. Year 1 is the new battleground between traditionalists and the play-based fanatics who are spreading their tentacles from reception. By traditionalists I mean lots of hands on activities, few worksheets but opportunities to record independently as well as opportunities to play and talk. However all this will be done whole class. The other lot think that it is sufficient to work with one group while the others choose from a range of similar activities to what they had in reception and expect those who are working in a group to want to work while the others play and flit. Expect very low level levels of application as well as a lot of rushing to complete.
    The truth is unless your head tells you exactly what they want go with your own beliefs and instincts. I could never work the foundation stage in Year 1 and neither would I want to.
    I will be interested to hear which path you take. PS advisers don't tend to come into Y1 and if standards are good Ofsted aren't fussed which route you take.

4. mich21761

mich21761 New commenter

Thanks for your reply, although I'm still no clearer. I am sure that the head wants the latter but hasn't given much indication yet. Just wish she would give a little more support then I have a starting platform.

5. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

I spent a term getting my year 1's used to being in a group, staying with their group and getting their work done properly! All they wanted to do was play... mind you, in reception they'd have 15- 20 mins of carpet session then they could play/read/choose to do whatever they like... it's not really surprising that the idea of working was so strange to them!

Plan your phonics in would be my advice. There's going to be a phonics 'check' (they're very keen to stress it's not a test... but it is) at the end of the year and most children are expected to be secure at phase 5. Rumour has it that ofsted's focus for next year is reading in year1 and 6.