1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to UPS1

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by fshafiq, Dec 2, 2015.

1. fshafiq

fshafiq New commenter

Hi all,

I have applied to move through threshold for the last two years. But both years I have been denied.
    Any suggestions on what I can do to get through threshold.

I will talk to my line manager in detail but have lost faith as I feel that you have to be in the "in crowd".

Thanks Fiz

shah41 likes this.
  2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

what do you do beyond the normal teaching 8-3:30?

you need to show you are doing more than a "standard teacher". I'm UPS1 and I'm not normal even for a UPS teacher, but.....

I invite other schools in to talk about their GCSE/Moderation offer support, do CPD for primaries, look for things to enhance the whole school, Run after school clubs, contribute to the department for SoW and look for ways to develop the marking scheme for the whole dept. I also do displays not just for the department, but for the corridors and everywhere else. I made/saved my school about £6k last year.

you have to be taking on more responsibility to show you are developing as a teacher beyond the 8:3:30 day to day stuff.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was denied for 6 years... took on lots of other responsibilities to try to show I was worth it... and was denied year on year before being bullied/managed out of post...

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you actually looked to see what it says here?

Best wishes

Attached Files:

5. forestgreen

forestgreen New commenter

Our criteria is 'sustained and substantial contribution' to the life of the school over and above MPS6 expectation.