1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to UPS

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Monika001, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Monika001

Monika001 New commenter

I've been on M6 since 2018. I'm starting a new post in September and have just received the contract which states I'll be paid on ups1.

I always thought it was very difficult to move to ups. Previous colleagues have had applications denied multiple times by head teachers.

Just wondering how the head/governing body would have come to the decision to award me ups1 given that I haven't worked for the school yet. Would it have been following conversation with my referees?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Most people have the opposite problem so count yourself lucky!

I'm tempted to say just say nothing and be glad to receive UPS1 pay from next month. I have a slight concern that maybe HR thinks your old school would have put you on UPS1 if you'd stayed there and if they find out otherwise might put you back to M6 (although legally it's doubtful they could do that as long as you haven't misled them at any point).

By this time though you'd expect new school to have received all the references/salary confirmation it needs from old school.

Was it discussed at interview?

What did the job offer letter say?

Is the school you are going to an academy, and if so is it using STPCD conditions of employment?

Piranha and strawbs like this.
  3. Monika001

Monika001 New commenter

I know! I was so surprised by it when I saw it.

The odd thing is that HR sent all my paperwork through a week ago and it all said M6. I was fine that that. Returned all my signed documents. Then I had an email this morning from HR saying they've had info from the school regarding my pay and they'd attached the relevant paperwork to reflect this. I was actually annoyed because I thought they were trying to move me down to M5 (I've been unemployed this past academic year!) It's just so unusual. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's just a sign that it's a decent school that values good quality experience.

4. Monika001

Monika001 New commenter

Oh and:
    - we didn't discuss it at interview.
    - I stated M6 as my previous salary
    - the original offer letter said M6 and I had a new offer letter today saying ups1

It's a temp contract so not sure if that is relevant? Could it be an indication that they'd consider keeping me permanently?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Temp - v - Permanent shouldn't make any difference. I wouldn't assume it means they'll offer you a permanent post, that's a decision much further down the line.

As old school have given them all the information, and you've not misled them at all, they've made their decision and revised their offer to UPS1. If I were you I'd stop looking gift horses in the mouth and accept it!

If they ever start trying to back track come back here for advice. Otherwise just take it at face value that for whatever reason they've decided to offer you UPS1.

Piranha and strawbs like this.
  6. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

I suggest you keep you all the paperwork, if problems arise. Also suggest you do not discuss this matter with colleagues at your old and new school !!

Piranha, strawbs and Rott Weiler like this.