1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving to UP2

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by joeym, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Hello there, I will be due to move to UP2 in Sept 2012 - however I will be on maternity leave...can anyone advise when I should approach my head about this. Will it go to governance before the end of the academic year? I meet the criteria - so is it a request to go through or can the head refuse?

cheers all

2. Hello there, I will be due to move to UP2 in Sept 2012 - however I will be on maternity leave...can anyone advise when I should approach my head about this. Will it go to governance before the end of the academic year? I meet the criteria - so is it a request to go through or can the head refuse?

cheers all

3. Hi
    Sorry, I can't answer your question - but I am also due to move to U2 in Sept next year. where did you get the criteria from? I don't have the first clue what to do to move up... so any help would be great!
    For what it's worth, I don't believe being on mat leave makes any difference to your eligibility to move up - I'm just not sure how you do it.
    sparkly.

4. Hi,
    My head invited me to an interview to which I had to provide evidence of achieving post threshold standards. These are the same as when you go through to UPS 1. You can find them on the TDA website, or by typing "post threshold standards teachers" into google.
    Good luck
    A

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

No interview or provision of evidence is necessary - all that is required for progression are 2 consecutive successful PM reviews, all the evidence should be there. Discuss it with your PM reviewer and let your head know you want to be considered for progression in Sep 2012, no other action on your part is required.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I have seen this before, but my reading of Teachers Pay and Conditions is slightly different. It says (about progression to UPS2 and 2) "in the case where the post-threshold teacher is subject to the 2002 Regulations or the 2006 Regulations, the relevant body is satisfied that the teacher's achievements and contribution to the school, or to the school or schools in which the teacher previously worked have been substantial and sustained, having regard to the results of the two most recent appraisals or reviews carried out in accordance with the 2001 Regulations, the 2002 Regulations or the 2006 Regulations, as the case may be." Can anybody tell me what the words "substantial and sustained" mean in this context? It seems to me that more may be required than just a successful review. This is certainly the view my school is taking.

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

... but Piranha, it is the responsibility of the school through the reviewer to be aware of the upcoming progression and to decide if the contribution of the teacher has continued to be substantial and sustained. The Upper Pay Scale Progression Criteria – Clarification in Section 3 clarifies this quite mephatically for your school:
    "To ensure that the achievements and contribution have been substantial and sustained, (the) performance review will need to assess that the teacher has:

continued to meet post-threshold standards; and

grown professionally by developing their teaching expertise post-threshold
    ."
    The STPCD also requires that "the relevant body must have regard to any recommendation on pay progression recorded in the teacher’s most recent planning and review statement."
    Nowhere is there any mention AT ALL of a teacher providing evidence, only that judgements be based on evidence ie the reviewer can not be arbitrary.
    There are a lot of schools which try to make stuff up.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sorry, becktonboy, I didn't mean that an interview or evidence from the teacher is needed. My query was whether a post-threshold teacher could have a "successful" PM review in which they continued to meet post-threshold standards but did not make the required substantial and sustained contribution. I agree that if they did, it should be demonstrated in the review. If not, does the review then become unsuccessful?
    I agree with you that schools make stuff up - I have also complained about it on this forum.

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

see your point. The clarification indicates that the PM could not be successful without the S+SC. Also there can not be a requirement for a S+SC beyond or outside of the P Standards .

10. What happens if you move school before you've had your PM review?