1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Moving to UK, want to get into teaching !

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Wish23, Aug 16, 2012.

  1. I have been teaching for two years in a college ( undergrad students) in India. My subjects were biochemistry and microbiology. I am a post graduate in Microbial biotechnology. I would be moving to UK in February 2013 and i would want to teach in schools there. I have also done Bachelors of education in life sciences. Could you please guide me me as to how should i go about it from now only so that i save some time after i come to UK. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  2. Hi

    In order to teach in the UK, you need to have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Normally, you achieve this by completing a one year postgrade certificate, known as PGCE. During the PGCE you will spend some time at a university, but at least 2/3 of your time will be spent training in schools during placements. However, there are some changes coming in, which may give QTS to people with substantial teaching experience. I suspect though that if you only have 2 years experience, you will still be expected to do the PGCE.

    Another option is to participate on the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP). Again, this is a one year route to get QTS, but you will be in a paid teaching role. It's extremely competitive though. The good news for you is that science teachers are in great demand in the UK!

    Hope this helps
  3. Hi,

    Thank you for the information. That was really helpful.

    Could you also please tell me as to when can i apply for GTP ? I am in India right now, and i would be moving to UK in March...so when exactly does filling of GTP applications take place?


  4. EcoLady

    EcoLady New commenter

  5. Thanks a ton.
  6. You need to have your current qualifications assessed by UK NARIC - they provide comparability information for universities and employers on your qualifications. In statemaintained schools (those funded by the government and controlled by local education authorities) you must have qualified teacher status (QTS) and this can be done through various routes:
    1. a one year postgraduate/professional graduate certificate in education
    2. A school direct programme leading to QTS - where the school hires you and arranges your training
    3. A school based training programme (like 1, but run by the school rather than a university)
    Visit this site to look at the various options:
    From September 1st this year some types of schools e.g. Academies and Free Schools (a new type of school set up by parents and/or others can hire people who have no teaching qualifications. To be honest the vast majority are expected to still want QT, but if they have a particular need for a subject expert and that person has no QTS then the school can still hire them as a fully paid teacher with no further training.
    The Sage

Share This Page