1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to UAE for work

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Wishfulglobetrotter, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Wishfulglobetrotter

Wishfulglobetrotter New commenter

I signed a contract to start working as a teacher in Abu Dhabi in August. I had signed this long before the Corona virus outbreak. As far as I am aware the school have not yet started processing my visa. What is the likelihood that my contract is going to be fulfilled? I am going through the process of ADEK approval but I have a feeling it is not going to go ahead. Anybody currently in the same boat or currently working in Abu Dhabi please feel free to share your advice.

bluejacket10 likes this.
  2. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Don’t worry! You have to be brought in on a temporary visa - you cannot get you visa until they have done the medical here in AD.
    Schools still need staff for September - there are still children to teach!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I agree with Powergnome3. Yes, this Coronavirus is worrying, but most schools are going to want to start the new academic year as normal, even if the end of this one has been a bit of a mess.

4. Wishfulglobetrotter

Thank you! This is making me feel a lot better about my position...

bluejacket10 likes this.
  5. Wishfulglobetrotter

Ah thank you!

bluejacket10 likes this.
  6. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

Depends who you’re working for... shiny stone schools have told all senior staff that they aren’t not allowed to recruit despite advertising. Also take a look at the hammering they have had online by parents of shiny stone schools (hashtag search on Twitter) so no, I wouldn’t be confident about all
    UAE schools hiring and honoring contracts. Perhaps, trust your gut.

7. kneebone

kneebone New commenter

I'm in a very similar postion. I also have a role starting in Abu Dhabi and signed my contract prior to the outbreak of the virus. I already have ADEK approval. My school and the company it is part of is still advertising for roles to start in August. This week, I asked whether I can assume my contract will start, even if I am not in the country as I have already signed it and they have said I can assume that will be the case. I will email them weekly now to see if there are any changes or further guidance.

Wishfulglobetrotter likes this.
  8. Wishfulglobetrotter

What company are you going to work for? Our situation does sound very similar, I think it may be the same one.

9. Wishfulglobetrotter

I have had a look online and it’s not with the company that have been receiving backlash. Would you mind starting a conversation to recommend companies that you think are trustworthy? No worries if not, just want to know the reputation of my company.

10. kneebone

kneebone New commenter

It's with Aldar Education.

Wishfulglobetrotter likes this.
  11. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

I don’t know anything about A Ed I’m afraid. They are very shiny and happy on LinkedIn but trashed in the popular Review of Schools International. Bottom line is if you read all the other threads about contracts and the ME in general, I’m a go with your gut kind of person. If it feels bad....

Sorry I can’t be more helpful but schools in another country who are currently not even letting their own fly in are the most risky if you ask me.

12. Wishfulglobetrotter

We are in the same situation

13. kneebone

kneebone New commenter

I have emailed my school this morning to ask about the retraction of contracts - no response as yet. I haven't yet handed in my notice and am still looking for reassurance from the company before doing so, but the date for this is approaching quickly.

14. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

If you're already working in the UK then I'd withdraw and wait for a more stable time. The group of schools doesn't have the best reputation as seen on the International Schools site with reviews on it.

15. kneebone

kneebone New commenter

My experiences so far have been good, with good communication from the company and individual school I am due to be working in.

16. Mitochondria1

A whole bunch of reports from people who worked there and got screwed over state otherwise. But I'm sure you know best. Good luck!

17. kneebone

kneebone New commenter

No, I don't know best. I can only go by what I experience. In an already very uncertain and stressful time, your comment is not helpful.

Laurenrobb likes this.
  18. Mitochondria1

I'll put it this way.
    You have a job.
    There are no guarantees with COVID.
    This organisation has a reputation for screwing over teachers, changing contracts and basically screwing over people.
    If they withdraw, you're on your own with no recourse.
    Wait a year and stay put.

Helpful enough?

19. Cider678

Cider678 New commenter

My husband has been offered a teaching post with an Aldar school recently late March, middle of this whole pandemic thing. . Everything with the school seems to be going ahead, visa etc. Anything different with you guys?

20. kneebone

kneebone New commenter

Yes, everything seems to be going ahead - I have been sent further details today and have a call with the deputy principal tomorrow.