1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to Thailand with my family

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lucymweatherall, Mar 17, 2019.

1. lucymweatherall

lucymweatherall New commenter

Good afternoon!

In the summer I am moving to Thailand with my partner and our 8-year old son. Neither of us have jobs yet but we are looking. He's in IT and I am a fully qualified English teacher.

When we get over to Thailand, if I don't have a job yet, I was thinking about funding myself with TEFL jobs.
    I was wondering how easy (or difficult) it is to get TEFL jobs in an almost work-as-you-go fashion. Even just for the first 6-8 weeks when we'll be travelling around a bit.

Any advice for this; moving across the world; Thailand tips; or anything would be massively appreciated!

Thank you :)

2. shaneggpierce

shaneggpierce New commenter

I would suggest you to not. It was one the worst decision of my life and now i am regretting.

Regards
    Shane

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

If you're a fully qualified English teacher, then rather than looking at TEFL why not contact some of the schools and offer yourself as a cover teacher? The pay would be better, the kids probably too, and it would give you a foot in the door of the school if a full-time teaching job does come up.

5. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

I agree with Amysdad you'll get paid a lot more working as a qualified teacher at an international school, there are relevant ads on TES at the moment. However, your post suggests that you're looking for more temporary or peripatetic roles than are likely to be offered by a role at an International School. I'm not really clued in to all the minutiae of the TEFL world, but I know that Ajarn.Com is the main site for TEFL people.
    A few of the backpackers that I have met recently have been funding their trips through VIPKID, this is a more mobile & flexible arrangement than working for a traditional language school. The starting pay may be a little lower than the traditional lang schools, but I think that you can make extra through sign ups, short notice lessons etc etc.
    Good Luck !

6. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

There are 4 English teacher jobs in Thailand advertised on TES at the moment. And there are likely to be more coming up. It seems likely that you will be able to get an English teacher position in an international school which would give far better pay and conditions.

dannythedog and grdwdgrrrl like this.
  7. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

That sounds like a very subjective position. There are many here that are doing very well in similar circumstances. I followed my partner for 10 years and picked up jobs if I wanted or needed. Now I'm a qualified teacher and have a great job at a great school and my children get free and good quality education.

8. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

"That sounds like a very subjective position."

With all due respect grdwdgrrl isn't that why one goes on to an e mail forum, to get a variety of opinions based on personal experience. Your advice/opinion/experience is no more or less valid than Shane's.