1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to teach in SydneyAustralia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rorirving, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hi

I am looking to move to Sydney as son as possible with my partner. I am a Secondary PE teacher and I want to do this over in OZ but i am struggling as to where to look for vacancies or agencies which help with this?
    Is it best to have a job before moving or to look once over there?
    Any help with this would be fab!!

Thanks!!!

2. NSW has centralised staffing, You need to go to https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/about-us/careers-centre/school-careers/teaching and apply for the rounds, this is done in June or July starting work in January. Good luck getting work in Sydney, unless you are happy to work anywhere including the exceptionally rough schools. Other option apply in the rounds with the intention of getting casual relief. This will allow you to decide which schools you like and they may then offer you contracts.
    Go to http://www.ceosyd.catholic.edu.au/Pages/Home.aspx for Catholic schools.
    The Sydney Morning Herald also advertises positions vacant. Seek is a waste of time and avoid agencies other. You could try teachers on net.
    Any work in NSW will require you to register with NSWIT http://www.nswteachers.nsw.edu.au/ which is the equilant of the GTCE or GTCS.
    Moving to another country takes time and patience don't expect your ASAP to be quick. I hate to say this but you will have to be prepared to take a lot of stick Australian don't have the greatest respect for British sporting ability and we have very little interest in soccor in comparison to other football codes. Forewarned is forearmed and you just have to laugh and not take it too seriously. [​IMG]

3. Thats fab, thanks for your help!! I will check out those now. Is there anywhere in australia which has a shortage of teachers? We preferred Sydney as we have friends there but Austalia in general has to be better than england!! :)
    Thanks again.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

rorirving, one thing you should be aware of is that although each state has reciprocal agreements for certification, the actual process varies a lot from state to state. And, to the best of my memory, for foreign qualified teachers, NSW is by far the biggest pain in the arse. So, from this perspective, it might be a good idea to start off in another state.

5. To be completely honnest, I'm not sure Australia has a significant shortage of teachers. The ACT is constantly looking for teachers especially good relief teachers. I'm bias but 3hr to Sydney, 1 1/2 hour to the snow or the coast. The traffic here is pretty minimal if you stay out of gunhalini.
    NSW likes being difficult but they were nothing compared to what the general teaching council expects of Overseas trained teachers in England.