1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MOVING TO TEACH IN AUSTRAILA IN DECEMBER??!!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rborsana, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Hi all, i am going travelling in october and we our longest stop will be in Austraila where i have got myself a working and travelling visa.
    I am a teacher and have been teaching primary for the past 5 years.
    It would be lovely to also teach in Austraila- I will be staying in Brisbane.
    Is there anything I need to do or know before I go. Or can i just turn up there and apply with my currunt CV and qualifications?
    Is it better to look for a job when i get there? as decemeber is still far away?!
    Any helpful advice will be much much appreaciated
    Thanks

2. Hi all, i am going travelling in october and we our longest stop will be in Austraila where i have got myself a working and travelling visa.
    I am a teacher and have been teaching primary for the past 5 years.
    It would be lovely to also teach in Austraila- I will be staying in Brisbane.
    Is there anything I need to do or know before I go. Or can i just turn up there and apply with my currunt CV and qualifications?
    Is it better to look for a job when i get there? as decemeber is still far away?!
    Any helpful advice will be much much appreaciated
    Thanks

3. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Do search and I'm sure you will find lots of info on what you need to do to teach. Registration with the state institute is essential and I know here in NSW you would need to apply to the Department of Ed to be approved, having a Working With Children check and be issued with a casual number. All these things take forever (especially as that time of the year is when all new graduates will also be applying for casual approval).
    Not sure if you are aware that our school year ends in December and there is very little work around at that time of year. School doesn't go back then until the end of January as it is our summer vacation. Then there is not much work around for the first few weeks of school either. Now would be the best time to be lobbing up for work as it is winter, all the good casuals have been snapped up for blocks and everyone is sick.
    The states all have different term dates and Queensland finishes on the 14th of December.

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

They <u>appreciate</u> it if you spell it 'Australia'.

5. Still beats living in Oz! Believe it or not, Australians are not the same a munchkins.

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

A massive amount of information has been posted on teaching in Australia (including a thread currently on this page). It is well worth doing a forum search.