1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving to teach abroad... How do I write my CV and appropriate applications?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by nick-little, May 29, 2017.

1. nick-little

nick-little New commenter

Hi all,

I'm looking to move abroad to teach; I plan to stay within Foundation (as I have been for my 3 year teaching career) but I've no idea how to write my CV in an appropriate way. I'm fortunate enough to never have had to apply for a teaching job and as such, my CV hasn't been touched since I was in university.

Can I please have some tips on how to structure my CV in an educationally-tailored manner, as well anything that might help it stand out for the international schools that I plan to apply for.

Thanks for any help,

Nick

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

For teaching jobs in the UK you rarely need a CV - state schools usually ask you to fill in the county application form. But for schools abroad, yes, you will need one. You need to include some information about schools you have worked in and the job you've done there - this could include placements. Be specific about age group, number of children in the class, any special roles or responsibilities, etc.

On international CVs it's not unusual to include a photograph of yourself. You would definitely not do this in the UK, but abroad it's quite normal. If you don't include one, don't be surprised if the school request one.

Good luck with your job search! Any particular countries in mind?

3. nick-little

nick-little New commenter

Thank you Kartoshka! I'm looking at going somewhere in the Middle/Far East, with UAE and China both very high on the list. I'm just excited to be looking out for what is out there and the opportunities that may arise.

4. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

@nick-little have you posted on the Overseas forum? Loads of experienced posters there. They will all agree with me when I say don't limit your search to certain countries - the world is your oyster, and the Middle East is no longer at the top of the payscales.

nick-little likes this.
  5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Register with Search Associates, to see jobs being advertised, and salary details, all over the world.

nick-little likes this.
  6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

There was a thread about c.v.s quite recently - see if you can track it down because several posters, including myself, answered this very question. Look under 'Jobseekers', too.

nick-little likes this.